Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 10-21-2007   #1

Default Saturday at Best Buy = people walking out with HD DVD

I was there for about 30 minutes and I saw 4 people buy HD DVD players while I was there and I was standing in the digital camera and HD software area - not in the equipment area.

I am not sure this is meaningful data but it looked like a trend.

I am sure a LOT more PS3s were sold than HD DVD players if you are counting but in terms of dedicated players it looked like consumers are trying HD DVD at least here in LA. I would guess this is because of the title quality and the lower player price. Also the "DVD" in the name might help too.
Old 10-22-2007   #2

Default Re: Saturday at Best Buy = people walking out with HD DVD

If you mean the XBOX 360 HD DVD add on player, it was probably because starting yesterday Oct 21st Best Buy was giving the Heroes HD DVD boxed set free with purchase of one.

Stores may have started the sale earlier I guess.
slugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #3

No - I mean Toshiba A30's and units like that.

j
Old 10-22-2007   #4

Default $99 HD DVD players

A source of mine told me that Toshiba was giving anyone who would sign up for a subscription serivce at a recent trade/consumer show a $99 HD DVD player.

That sounds crazy but I will tell you what - if I was doing the marketing for HD DVD or Blu-ray - I would offer 1,000 units to the fourm users and another to AV salespeople and execs at nearly NO cost. Get them involved (warts and all) with the format. See what REAL native 1080p looks like.

Its actually an afordable way to market.
Old 10-23-2007   #5

I'm starting to think Toshiba might have the edge lately too. I know, huge surprise from an obviously Blu-ray slanted guy like me, but their players aren't plagued by the constant firmware updates like the Blu-ray players are. I see it like Apple computers, one company makes all the hardware, so it's easy to get it all in sync.

I for one am getting really tired of getting new movies and having to do firmware updates before being able to play them. I hear Spiderman 3 will need yet another update.....

I just want them to work.

Jerry, the idea of spreading them out cheaper, I suspect we are already buying them at less than cost, but I could be wrong, but it would help with penetration of the market and get the buzz going if they went to true enthusiasts.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #6

Cool Re: Saturday at Best Buy = people walking out with HD DVD

WOW, first I agree with you Jerry. Consumers want quality and simplicity together. And HD DVD does that with their selection of players and price points. As far as your marketing idea, its sound. Especially if your in sales. There is nothing like having the product at home to use, then to go sell.

And kennyt, you know i`m with you as i mentioned in the other thread, we just want it to work. Think about this. Its next Tuesday, release of Spidey 3. Your kids are hyped for you to bring the movie home.
Your wife prepares appetizers, maybe you let your kids invite one or two friends, come home, take a shower. Put on your shorts and T-shirt, pop open the wrapper, give the cover to the kids to peruse. Hit eject, push play. Power up your Classe, Bel canto, Meridian, Krell, whatever, your now ready and excited, then you see, NEED UPDATE!!!

Are you kidding me??
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bestbuy, buy, dvdaudio, high, people, resolution, saturday, saturdayat, super, video, videos, walking