Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 10-20-2007   #1

Default Best HD DVD for my TV ?

I have a 3 year old Mitsubishi 65" Diamond HDTV. I want to buy a HD DVD player. The TV is only capable of 480P and 1080i. I am using Direct TV HD (hdmi) receiver. My TV only has RGB and DVR inputs. So I use a HDMI to DVR cable and also thr RGB. I understand I can not receive or play 1080P. So what is the best HD DVD player for my system? And, will a HD DVD player upconvert regular DVDs for my system? I don't want to buy a high end HD DVD player if my TV will not support it but I would like a good fit.

Thanks,

Ken
KenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007   #2

Default What HD DVD player to buy

1. I would get the latest HD DVD player no matter what. Some of the more affordable units are $300 to $400 and do 1080p despite the fact your set has a native resolution set for 1080i. The load times will be better and you will have less issues playing the feature laden discs without having to shell out a TON of cash.

2. On your HDTV, I would go component video from your new HD DVD player into your set. It will carry the 1080i signal just fine.

If you upgrade your set in the future - you will have a player than can handle it if you invest in the newest unit. Chances are - you will get a different HDTV at some point down the road.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Jerry
Old 10-20-2007   #3

Default Re: Best HD DVD for my TV ?

Thanks Jerry. I plan on keeping the TV for some time. It works very well for us and we have an entertainment center built for the large screen. It's hard to find a 65" with all the DLP LCD Plasma TV that are out. Seems rear projection now in the minority but I like the HD quality of mine. If I were to replace it, I would maybe go with the Sony 70" or 75"? Can't remember how big it was but it was very good also.

Thanks,

Ken
KenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
dvd, format, tv, works