Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   HD DVD Software & Hardware (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware-50/)
-   -   HDMI Connect ??? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware/797-hdmi-connect.html)

mbalari 09-26-2007 05:11 AM

HDMI Connect ???

Hi, I need to know which is the best form to connect: an oppo DVD (HDMI 1.2), The Denon 3806 (HDMI 1.1) , and the LCD LG TV.
All off them has HDMI
I wish to see TV at 740p, listen DVDA and SACD for 3806.
Can I use HDMI cable only?
Which is the best setting?
Thanks so much.

kennyt 09-26-2007 09:16 AM

Re: HDMI Connect ???

No, you're Denon 3806 will only accept video and coaxial (DD DTS) from the HDMI connector. If you want to use the Oppo for SACD/DVD-A in multichannel you will need to connect the six analog RCA connections to the MC input of the Denon. You should use the HDMI for video and you can use it (or add another digital connection to the 3806) for DVD use (Dolby Digital and DTS) but you will need to use the analog outputs of the Oppo for multichannel audio.

In this setup you would then need to run an HDMI cable from your 3806 to the TV as well.

mbalari 09-26-2007 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 3609)
No, you're Denon 3806 will only accept video and coaxial (DD DTS) from the HDMI connector. If you want to use the Oppo for SACD/DVD-A in multichannel you will need to connect the six analog RCA connections to the MC input of the Denon. You should use the HDMI for video and you can use it (or add another digital connection to the 3806) for DVD use (Dolby Digital and DTS) but you will need to use the analog outputs of the Oppo for multichannel audio.

In this setup you would then need to run an HDMI cable from your 3806 to the TV as well.

Thanks for your reply, but today I have conected the OPPO and DENON trhoug ADMI and I can hear DVDA in multichanel format. I didin´t test SACD. My question is if I can see directly TV throug the output of the HDMI.
Thanks again.

kennyt 09-26-2007 10:29 AM

You will be able to use many DVD-A's via HDMI however you will be listening to the DD or DTS soundtrack, a TRUE DVD-A disc will not transmit over the HDMI cable, so you would be short changing yourself resolution of the format for convienence.

You should also be able to accept DD/DTS from your cable or satelite box over HDMI, as this is the highest resolution audio you get for TV, it is fine. Again you could also do it via a coaxial or optical digital connection if you so desired.

I suspect when you try an SACD you will not have multichannel audio with this setup and will need the analog connections I mentioned earlier.

mbalari 09-26-2007 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 3617)
You will be able to use many DVD-A's via HDMI however you will be listening to the DD or DTS soundtrack, a TRUE DVD-A disc will not transmit over the HDMI cable, so you would be short changing yourself resolution of the format for convienence.

You should also be able to accept DD/DTS from your cable or satelite box over HDMI, as this is the highest resolution audio you get for TV, it is fine. Again you could also do it via a coaxial or optical digital connection if you so desired.

I suspect when you try an SACD you will not have multichannel audio with this setup and will need the analog connections I mentioned earlier.

OK, but the operation manual of 980 Saids:

HDMI is a wonderful thing. A single cable can transport both audio AND video from your DVD
player to your display. Be aware, however, that HDMI is an evolving standard, and there
could be compatibility issues. The OPPO DV-980H supports HDMI v1.1 and v1.2a audio. A
receiver that supports HDMI v1.1 is required in order to play multi-channel audio for all
formats, including DVD-Video/Audio and SACD (SACD DSD audio converted to multichannel
PCM). A receiver that supports HDMI v1.2a with DSD over HDMI is required in
order to natively play SACD DSD audio without conversion. If the receiver supports HDMI
1.0 only, DVD-Audio and SACD will NOT be able to be sent via HDMI. To utilize DVD-Audio
or SACD, please see next section for multi-channel analogue audio connection.

This is correct?
Thanks

kennyt 09-26-2007 01:44 PM

The point about playing native audio without conversion is what I was referring to, yes you could get audio from it, but it is not the best you can do. For this you would be best off using the analog outputs.