Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 09-18-2007   #1
Administrator

Default What is the best HD DVD player on the market currently?

Tell us what you think the best HD DVD player is on the market currently.
AVRevForum.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #2

Default Re: What is the best HD DVD player on the market currently?

Some say the Toshiba XA2 is the best. That is what I have.

Others think the A20 with the DVDO video processing is the best. Supposedly, it scales DVDs better.
Old 09-18-2007   #3

Toshiba HD-XA2.

I thought the A2o had lessor chipset for scaling? I am amazed at how good a scaler the XA2 is, and BTW Jerry, about time you bought a new HD DVD player!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #4

I bought one last month?

Is there a new one (see my new thread about Meridian)
Old 09-18-2007   #5

They have announced the third generation, I don't know if they are out yet but coming soon. In this ever changing world of video, it seems the next generation is announced before the first really hits the shelves!

Take the JVC RS1, they JUST filled their pre-orders like last month and now announced the RS2! Nice projector, but kind of sucks for the guys who ordered and waited for the RS1 only to get it and find out it is already dated!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #6

I recently purchased the Toshiba A20. There are mixed reviews on this player with most reviewers opting for the A2 or the XA2. I tried in vain to compare the three Toshiba players in the stores, however, I was able to directly compare the upscaling ability of the chips in the A20 (ABT1018), Samsung BD-P1200 (Silicon Optix Reon), and the unknown chip in the Sony S300.

I purchased a copy of Zathura (Special Edition) and played the dvd in all three players. All were connected via an identical HDMI cable into 42" LCD TVs from the same manufacturer as the player. Of the three players the A20 was performing through the least full-featured of the three sets.

Without question, the A20 did the best job of upscaling. It produced the most natural looking picture with the greatest degree of depth, clarity and texture, and the best color rendition. The BD-P1200 was a close second but lagged behind the A20 in depth of image clarity and perspective, and appeared somewhat edge enhanced. The Sony S300 image was the least compelling of the three players.

The day I was in the store, the A20 was being sold for $299.99. I also received 2 free HD discs and have 5 more free discs coming in the mail. This was a no-brainer.

I don't know it the A20 is the best player, but my experience with it is the same as Andrew Robinson's review. This is a true videophile component at a give-away price; I am more than happy with it.
phirsch1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2008, audio, best, cd, def, dvd, hd, hddvd, high, market, media, multichannel, player, reviews, sudio, today