Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   HD DVD Software & Hardware (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware-50/)
-   -   New Toshiba A35 HD DVD Player (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware/696-new-toshiba-a35-hd-dvd-player.html)

CliffH 09-13-2007 03:49 PM

New Toshiba A35 HD DVD Player

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the new Toshiba A35 HD DVD Player.It is the highest end of their 3 new models that are comming out in Oct.
My quandry is that I am ready to purchase a player and want to get the most for my money. Amazon.com has the top of the line current Toshiba model on sale for $560.00 This is about $200 less expensive than the normal price. With the new model comming out in Oct I am inclined to wait for ot to com out. It is priced at $499 an I would think it would be as good as or better than the previous generation player.
I would appreciate it if anyone has any info on the specs of this new machine.

Cliff

tigeraudio2007 09-13-2007 04:40 PM

Re: New Toshiba A35 HD DVD Player

The specs have not been released yet, other than it will be 1080p, HDMI 1.3, and all the other standard stuff that is on the HD-XA2. List price is $499.

In my opinion it would be worthwhile waiting for the next generation players for 2 reasons. 1) It may be better than the HD-XA2 and you won't be kicking yourself for buying a player knowing the next generation is just about to be release. 2) At the very least the release of the 3rd generation will at least allow you to purchase the XA2 for less money, and once again you won't be kicking yourself.

In the end though new players will always be being released. Whether it is new models, new manufacturers, new combo players, there is always going to be something new and better out. That said, I still advise waiting just a bit longer to see what Toshiba brings to the 3rd generation.

As far as I am concerned, combo players are a little to far off in the future to wait for them. Most manufacturers are only on the first generation of these combo players and most likely they are not ready for primetime. But what do I know.

kennyt 09-13-2007 05:56 PM

I am curious to see what the third gen brings. I currently own the HD XA2 and it is an amazing player, the video out bests some $6K+ playerrs I own, it is really that good!

GeorgeIoak 09-14-2007 09:01 AM

Just because a new player is introduced does not mean that it is a better player. With so much focus on first to market manufacturers have to release a product to keep up. Once they release a product they can then go back and revisit the design to try and make it more cost effective.

I have taken apart more than my fair share of consumer electronics and know this first hand. I'm not saying anything about the A35 specifically but I thought I would chime in and add my $0.02 worth!

ottojg14 09-15-2007 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 2799)
I am curious to see what the third gen brings. I currently own the HD XA2 and it is an amazing player, the video out bests some $6K+ playerrs I own, it is really that good!

Which $6000 ($6K+) players would those be? Are you saying the HD XA2 bests those players video quality as a standard DVD player only?; I'm not aware that there are $6K+ HD DVD players out there? HDMI? I could be wrong though?

kennyt 09-15-2007 03:45 AM

ottojg14,

What I mean is the SD DVD video output of this player is better than any DVD player I own! No one has produced an uber high end HD DVD nor Blu-ray player though they are in the pike.

HD DVD and Blu-ray clearly beat SD DVD, and has been discussed numerous times on the forum.