Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   HD DVD Software & Hardware (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware-50/)
-   -   HEROES on HD DVD (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware/677-heroes-hd-dvd.html)

Mel 09-11-2007 09:29 PM

HEROES on HD DVD

Has anyone seen this on HD DVD? Should I just get the regular DVDs or pop the big bucks for the HD DVD format?

tigeraudio2007 09-13-2007 12:51 PM

Re: HEROES on HD DVD

I am currently watching the HD DVD version of the series and should, with any luck have a review up in October of it.

I have only been able to watch the first 2 discs of the 7 in the set, but what I have seen thus far looks awesome. Since you have the HD DVD player you probably should just go for it.

Since the original broadcast was in 1080i the quality difference is mostly subtle. But what is noticeable in the HD DVD is the lack of digital cable compression and motion artifacts. That is a great plus. And I promise you that the compressed 480p DVD version will not even live up to the original HD broadcast. There is a bit of noise in really dark scenes, but I supposed that is to be expected. The audio is only Dolby Digital Plus which I have running into my receiver via HDMI PCM. It is amazing how many more details you hear in the audio being less compressed. Some of the detailed audio is good and some not so good extraneous sounds. Still outstanding nonetheless. So, get the HD DVD version. You won't be disappointed. Not to mention, Heroes is an excellent TV show and should not be missed. The unaired premiere episode is pretty cool too. Extra plots in that episode that were left out of the entire season.

JerryDelColliano 09-13-2007 01:05 PM

The HD DVD "truck/demo" was using Heros as their demo at CEDIA. It looked pretty impressive EVEN with some ambient light leaking in from outside.

The menu options looked REALLY cool. DVD sucks in every way in comparason (except for load time)

Robinson_A 09-13-2007 01:41 PM

Heroes on HD DVD rocks! I picked up the box set last night and got through an episode and was floored. While the improvements are subtle over the HD broadcast there are still improvements. The menus are terrific, as are the added features. A must have for any HD DVD fan.

tigeraudio2007 09-13-2007 01:56 PM

Your right Andrew. The HD DVD box set has subtle improvements over the HD broadcast but improvements nonetheless. I've only seen disc 1 and 2, but the extras features have been entertaining. Any fan of the show will truly appreciate the series on HD DVD. Forget about the DVD version. It won't even hold a candle to the HD DVD quality.

Can't wait for the start of the 2nd season on Sept. 24. Set your TiVos.

IndoSlim 10-31-2007 06:09 AM

Is the comic book that was online on the HD DVD Disc? If not, I think they should have included it--would've been a nice bonus.