Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   HD DVD Software & Hardware (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware-50/)
-   -   Samsung Dual format player in October? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware/625-samsung-dual-format-player-october.html)

Audiogeek_00 09-05-2007 10:26 AM

Samsung Dual format player in October?

I posted this on the BD site also.
Here is something that will muddy the waters a bit. It's been announced earlier in the year that Samsung will be using a new chip produced by Broadcom in their upcoming flagship BP-UP5000 Universal BD/HD-DVD (possibly shipping in October). It is also supposedly sanctioned by both groups. Pricing is not known at this time but typically flagship means >$1k.
This may be a picture of it, but i'm not sure. On the tray it looks like it has the BlueRay and HD-DVD logo. SAMSUNG's Digital World - DVD Player
Does this help or prolong the format war? Will it perform equally on both formats? Who can say, but Broadcom will sell their single chip solution to anyone who wants to get into this market, so if the Samsung product is popular you can be sure that others will jump into the fray. Her is the link to the whole story.
SI - readmsg.aspx msgid=23853577

bryan562 09-05-2007 04:34 PM

Re: Samsung Dual format player in October?

In the end, Microsoft just needs to make an Xbox that has 1080p support and then we can end this madness. Just get both video game systems and you are covered for both formats.

kennyt 09-05-2007 05:21 PM

Samsung is making one and LG is coming out with their second generation player as well... While these still seem to run ~$1K new (I already found pre-orders of the Samsung for <$800) they are still pricey, and likely a generation or so away from being reachable by the general public.

deacongreg 09-06-2007 10:24 AM

kennyt, I just read the announcement that Audiogeek_00 posted on the BD thread. My concern was pricing, like you said kennyt, and also, the feature set. Whether it will have most, if not ALL the most important features and functions of both formats. Whether it will have true Dolby and DTS HD. Similarly, whether it will playback SACD, DVD - A, standard DVDs, and standard, red book cds.

This would then make the Samsung a TRUE "Universal Player" for all formats. Then, we would be on to something. Then, once all preamp - processors and home theater receivers have enough HDMI inputs and outputs, along with 1.3, we can stop the madness, go shopping, invite the mass consumer in, and really cash in on the best that video and audio have to offer at this time. What do you think??

dnjweb 09-06-2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryan562 (Post 2579)
In the end, Microsoft just needs to make an Xbox that has 1080p support and then we can end this madness. Just get both video game systems and you are covered for both formats.

XBOX 360 and Elite both have 1080p. Original has an update available and Elite comes with it. Your wait is over.

AudioGuy2007 09-11-2007 12:33 PM

Wow really? I looked through xbox Live for an update to give 1080p output to my xbox 360 and cant find where to do it. Do you have a link to any documentation for this?