Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007   #7
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: White Plains, New York
Posts: 1,706
Default Re: What concert video do you most want to see on HD DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
One of the few advantages of being over 50, is that I was able to see some of the best musicians ever, performing live and in their prime... in the late 60's, early 70's.

I was front-row center when Jimmy Page's wild-flinging violin bow almost hit me in the head... I literally fell out of my seat when Pink Floyd fired off a REAL cannon in the middle of One Of These Days... and I almost fell out of the balcony of the Grande Ballroom in Detroit, when Carl Palmer unloaded the most impressive drum solo I have ever seen.

And #1 on my list for a new HD-DVD with Hi-Rez 5.1 audio, is the 1974 California Jam by Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Keith Emerson riding his enormous Hammond keyboard around the stage...Palmer's extremely swift and creative drum riffs... plus Greg Lake's voice in his prime... those were the days!

I'd love to re-live that performance with perfect video and audio clarity... and maybe this time, without the drugs.

DD
You know David, I don`t know how we did meet back in the day. Because certainly, live concerts and shows were great back in our time. Probably, since we listen to different types of music, we didn`t hook up!
But, one of the best live shows I saw, was at the infamous, now unfortunately shutdown (due to moneys owed) was at "The Bottom Line" in the Village here in New York, on west 4th street and Mercer. Grover Washington Jr. at his young, and firey days with CTI records. Sideman, Eric Gale on guitar, Gary King on bass, Idris Muhammed on drums with Lenny White (yes from Return to Forever on some songs!), Bob James on keyboards. The tightest, funkiest, baddest, jazz musicians right in front of your face. Lenny White`s drum solo had so much impact, I thought his hands were going to fall off!! I`d love to see this on dvd. In fact, its amazing to me, that with all the great musicians that played there, why recordings were not made.
They recorded at the Village Vanguard?
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #8
Super Member
 
kennyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,422
Default Re: What concert video do you most want to see on HD DVD?

I would love to have seen Yes play in the round, so I'd have to put that up. Frank Zappa at the Felt Forum on Halloween 1984 was an amazing show I'd love to relive. I think it would be awesome to find Rush ~ 2112 tour too...
__________________
Ken Taraszka, MD
Associate Editor
HomeTheaterReview
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #9
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 105
Default Re: What concert video do you most want to see on HD DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Probably, since we listen to different types of music, we didn`t hook up!
But, one of the best live shows I saw, was at the infamous, now unfortunately shutdown (due to moneys owed) was at "The Bottom Line" in the Village here in New York, on west 4th street and Mercer. Grover Washington Jr. at his young, and firey days with CTI records. Sideman, Eric Gale on guitar, Gary King on bass, Idris Muhammed on drums with Lenny White (yes from Return to Forever on some songs!), Bob James on keyboards.
Dude... don't get me wrong, I was heavy into jazz too... and was VERY into going to a variety of live performances.

At 19 years old, I walked up 7 flights of stairs in an old run-down jazz club in Detroit... and was totally mezmorized by the Herbie Han**** Sextant... and sat on the floor all night, right in front of Bennie Maupin and his bass clarinet.

At Baker's Keyboard lounge , I sat right near Stanley Clarke, as Chick Corea debuted the material from the first Return To Forever album... and it was friggin' amazing, with Joe Farrell AND Airto, about 10 feet away.

And I saw Miles Davis's last performance before he passed a few weeks later... impossible to put into words.

And the most amazing "musicianship" that I've ever sat in front of, was OREGON, with Ralph Towner...easily my all-time favorite jazz/new age "musical magicians."

But from a "showmanship" stand-point (ie. visibly entertaining on HDTV) I ranked ELP #1, simply because the three of them were all outstanding stage performers (in addition to being virtuosos musicians.)

Rock on...and JAZZ on.

DD

PS: I also studied Classical in college... if somebody wants to also toss that genre into the conversation.
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #10
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 105
Default Re: What concert video do you most want to see on HD DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Frank Zappa at the Felt Forum on Halloween 1984 was an amazing show I'd love to relive.
Your wish has been fulfilled...

The DTS Entertainment DVD-Audio release of Frank Zappa's Halloween, was a labor of love by Dweezil and family... and they painstakingly combed through the enormous Zappa archives to find the best performances from five live shows in New York City’s Palladium between October 27 and October 31, 1978.

Frank Zappa - Halloween DVD-A review on AudioRevolution.com

And the 5.1 re-mix will place you back into the time tunnel... so you can once again grab some Dinah-Moe, and some Dinah-Moe!

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #11
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: White Plains, New York
Posts: 1,706
Default Re: What concert video do you most want to see on HD DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
Dude... don't get me wrong, I was heavy into jazz too... and was VERY into going to a variety of live performances.

At 19 years old, I walked up 7 flights of stairs in an old run-down jazz club in Detroit... and was totally mezmorized by the Herbie Han**** Sextant... and sat on the floor all night, right in front of Bennie Maupin and his bass clarinet.

At Baker's Keyboard lounge , I sat right near Stanley Clarke, as Chick Corea debuted the material from the first Return To Forever album... and it was friggin' amazing, with Joe Farrell AND Airto, about 10 feet away.

And I saw Miles Davis's last performance before he passed a few weeks later... impossible to put into words.

And the most amazing "musicianship" that I've ever sat in front of, was OREGON, with Ralph Towner...easily my all-time favorite jazz/new age "musical magicians."

But from a "showmanship" stand-point (ie. visibly entertaining on HDTV) I ranked ELP #1, simply because the three of them were all outstanding stage performers (in addition to being virtuosos musicians.)

Rock on...and JAZZ on.

DD

PS: I also studied Classical in college... if somebody wants to also toss that genre into the conversation.
Alright!!!!!!!! Bennie Maupin, Herbie, Chick, that must have been awesome. A friend of mine was also into Yes and ELP. I can`t remember which of the ELP albums it was, but I did like it. Unfortunately, I never picked it up. Same with Yes. But, and I`m assuming now, there must have been some other influences besides rock, that pulled me in.
I also saw "Chicago" at Avery Fisher Hall, which was great. I`m a ex- sax player (tenor) and was thrilled with their horn section.

Now David, this is the music I would like to see on SACD/DVD - A, HD, but, I doubt we`ll see Chick, Stanley, or Herbie in the near future. Or at all.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #12
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2
Default Re: What concert video do you most want to see on HD DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
seen.

And #1 on my list for a new HD-DVD with Hi-Rez 5.1 audio, is the 1974 California Jam by Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Keith Emerson riding his enormous Hammond keyboard around the stage...Palmer's extremely swift and creative drum riffs... plus Greg Lake's voice in his prime... those were the days!

I'd love to re-live that performance with perfect video and audio clarity... and maybe this time, without the drugs.

DD
I was there and saw it live, though only 16 at the time.. I was in awe!

Agreed, ELP live at Cal Jam
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Tags
calif, carl, com, concert, concerte, drum, floyd, hd, hddvd, hdtv, jam, palmer, pink, solo, video, videos

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus 3D Concert Coming to TV in HD AVRevForum.com What's on HDTV? 2 05-25-2009 01:10 AM
Vanessa Carlton Concert to Become First HD video Podcast with Suround Sound tigeraudio2007 Discuss AVRev.com News 0 06-24-2008 01:40 PM
Dalai Lama to attend Dave Mathews concert in Seattle kennyt Off-Topic Posts 2 04-12-2008 05:15 AM
Denon Electronics DVD-5910CI DVD-Audio/Video/SACD Player AVRevForum.com Source Components 0 05-30-2007 05:48 PM




SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1