Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   HD DVD Software & Hardware (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware-50/)
-   -   TV volume from home theater system (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware/4010-tv-volume-home-theater-system.html)

DoubleL31 09-05-2009 10:03 AM

TV volume from home theater system

Using our stimulus check (HA) we bought a Sony 46XBR6 LCD and now have it hanging on the wall. Then I found a Sony DAV-IS50 5 speaker + woofer $800 system for $300. Since my wife does not like to see speaker I thought the golf ball size would do well.
This system has cables to the mid/sub woofer cabinet then twisted pair to the 5 speakers. A (looks like) monitor cable connects to the Audio controller/DVD/AM/FM/TV/. When watching TV I can switch from the TV speakers to the audio system speakers with one touch of a button on the remmote.
Now the problem. I cannot get sufficient volume from the TV through the audio system speakers. If I page through the functions and hit the FM I can wake the dead. There are so many options on the TV and audio system but I cannot find how to enable higher volume when watching TV.
The audio to TV is HDMI.
Any suggestions.

rbinck 09-05-2009 01:19 PM

Re: TV volume from home theater system

You must have used the audio output from the TV to feed the audio system? If so, you will need to turn off the internal TV speakers and either set the audio output to fixed rather than variable or put the volume all the way up. Then use the sound system remote for volume control.

When using the internal speakers there is not enough signal going out of the TV unless you turn the volume on the TV all the way up. Some people put an amplifier between the TV and the sound system to get around this limitation.

Another option would be to connect the audio from your source to the sound system. And use the sound system remote for volume.

DoubleL31 09-06-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbinck (Post 22506)
you will need to turn off the internal TV speakers and either set the audio output to fixed rather than variable or put the volume all the way up. Then use the sound system remote for volume control.

That did it. I was not looking far enough back in the setup menus.

My next task is to decide how, and if I want, to get a snake and thread the cable to my rear speakers under the carpet. Considering the way the room is set up I doubt if they would be very effective.

Thanks,

flaminio 09-11-2009 05:11 AM

All I know is I hope my neighbors enjoy my music because I play it loud. I played in several bands when I was very young and the music onstage is loud and I still like it that way. Or if I went to listen I sat right up in front where it was loud. I find that under a certain level,you lose some of the realism and over a certain level, you lose realism. But my balance just happens to be louder than most people care for.I've been getting a lot of new neighbors. Will have to see what happens if i get complaints. And movies get really loud without any loss of clarity. Love the theme from Law and Order.

Luchi 02-11-2010 01:09 AM

Hello friend rbinck has given you the simple but most appropriate suggestion. This man is most of the time absolutely correct. I had few trips in the other post and found this guy providing valuable tips and suggestion. We also never sun audio system and TV internal sound simultaneously. Enjoy watching new TV with better sound.

MassiSandage 09-28-2010 01:01 AM

I have hooked my system up a thousand different ways. This is what I want to do. I want to control my surround sound receiver using my TV volume. Like a dimmer switch for a light bulb. I tried it with the STB, but the STB's volume is too slow. In other words, I want to only use 1 remote to control for channels & volume. I know there are multi function remotes, but I know this can work somehow.