Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 04-22-2009   #1

Exclamation Exchange your WB hd dvd's for Blu-Ray!

http://red2blu.com/

Warner Bros. launches new trade-in program for HD DVD owners. Get Blu-ray versions of your HD DVD movies.

WHV has announced a new program, "Red2Blu,"for those who want to upgrade titles they currently own on HD-DVD to Blu-ray. By visiting Red2Blu.com, consumers can trade up virtually any of their WHV HD-DVD titles (up to 25) for the same title on Blu-ray for a small fee plus shipping and handling. For details and restrictions, visit Red2Blu.com. "Red2Blu" is available to residents of the United States only.

From Engadget,

U.S. HD DVD fans that passed up Best Buy's offer of $3 per disc, or just those who stocked up on cheap movies after the format gave up the fight have another option coming from Warner Bros. Send in the cover art sleeve (keep the disc) including UPC from your HD DVD case (plus $4.95 per movie and $6.95 / $8.95 per order S&H) and it will send you back a brand new Blu-ray copy. There's a few other restrictions, like 1 copy per movie and 25 different movies per household, but the biggest decision is likely to be whether giving up your precious I Am Legend sleeve is worth the trade, hit up Red2Blu.com for all the details and necessary forms. It seems to us like a decent offer to make HD DVD owners whole, we'd be surprised if Paramount and Universal came through with similar plans.

Last edited by TheMoose; 04-22-2009 at 09:25 AM..
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Exchange your WB hd dvd's for Blu-Ray!

That is a great PR move for Warner. Heck, if you bought some of the $5 HD DVD offered, then you would be into having both formats for under $20 per title!
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #3

Thumbs down Re: Exchange your WB hd dvd's for Blu-Ray!

Interesting plan, sooth the nerves of those who might still harbour ill will about Blu-Ray?

At least I have a number of players that can playback my HDDVD collection.

So it gets down to the need for a Blu-Ray copy, locally I can rent a BD Movie for $2.99 so there doesn't seem to be a need to pay to have the honor of owning the BD version of a disc I already have... (my 2 cents)
Westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
Interesting plan, sooth the nerves of those who might still harbour ill will about Blu-Ray?

So it gets down to the need for a Blu-Ray copy, locally I can rent a BD Movie for $2.99 so there doesn't seem to be a need to pay to have the honor of owning the BD version of a disc I already have... (my 2 cents)
That's a great point. I would not be interested in the program either. I've recorded most of my HD DVD discs to 1080i m2ts files on my server, so I don't need Blu discs.

There are people who have HD DVDs with no player though yet still have some HD DVD discs. Either their player died or it was sold because they just don't want two HD players in their system. Spouses can enter into this area as well if it becomes confusing as to which player to use for a given media. I know, I know, it's not every spouse!!!

So for some who like having physical media, this could be a valuable service, but not for everyone.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010   #5

hi

basumarpo1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #6

Wow, I have a new found respect for WB. This is great. Now all of us who own HD players for our 360's don't have to worry about them busting and losing at least part of our collections.
avmandingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, bluray, dvd, dvds, exchange, hd, hddvd, movies, paramount, ray, red2blucom, trade, universal, video, wb