Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   HD DVD Software & Hardware (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware-50/)
-   -   A New HD format from Sim2, better than Blu-ray? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware/2489-new-hd-format-sim2-better-than-blu-ray.html)

rex 09-14-2008 05:54 PM

A New HD format from Sim2, better than Blu-ray?

Just when you thought the format war was over:

The high-def disc format war is over, right? Well, don't tell that to Entertainment Experience, a start-up company that hopes to launch a new high-def disc format in partnership with Sim2, the manufacturer of high-end Home Theater projectors. Video Business reports that the companies announced last week at the CEDIA convention in Denver that it would introduce the new format in January, aiming its sights at the Blu-ray high-def disc.

Blu-ray defeated rival HD DVD earlier this year after a bitter 18-month-long battle that finally concluded when the major studios sided overwhelmingly with Blu. The format war slowed high-def disc sales and forced the CE industry to lower player prices faster than anticipated. Consequently, Video Business reports, the studios are likely to be reluctant to embrace this new format.

“This high-def alternative is bull; it’s all about Blu-ray,” one industry source told Video Business. “They’re grasping at straws. The entire industry is all behind Blu-ray.” Entertainment Experience officials said at CEDIA that Sim2 projection TVs would be bundled with the new high-def discs, which are likely to cost around $40.

http://proav.pubdyn.com/industry-new...sectionID=1617

TheMoose 09-14-2008 10:54 PM

Re: A New HD format from Sim2, better than Blu-ray?

It's beyond me how some people get to be in charge of a big company.
I mean what did they do...say, well Toshiba only lost a few billion dollars so why don't we get in this format war thing!

Sounds like an epic fail to me! :rolleyes:

wes 09-15-2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 17651)
It's beyond me how some people get to be in charge of a big company. I mean what did they do...say, well Toshiba only lost a few billion dollars so why don't we get in this format war thing! Sounds like an epic fail to me! :rolleyes:

Meridian brought in 4k theater for $186,000 when you have the cash.. They will just upscale the Blu Ray to 4K or 8K? Except they are using 3DLP 1080p so I don't see how???

vnvnvn2000 03-17-2009 08:13 AM

This is lame. Yes, Blu-Ray will eventually be replaced by something newer and better. This is not that something. And yes, now that HD-DVD is gone, no major studio in their right mind would begin to support some new format, even if it is marginally better than Blu-ray 1080p.

I mean sweet flying f*ck ! People who have already started transitioning to Blu-Ray will hopefully be laughing their asses off, as there is, in my opinion, absolutely no reason to upgrade, unless you are a complete tool and have nothing better to waste your money on.

Plus, I think this format will be squashed out of existance pretty quickly, due to the fact that no one will support it. There is no point in releasing anything new now to comete with Blu-Ray, since most peoples' setups are either at 1080p or lower. Until there is hardware to support greater resolutions, there is no need for another format.

That being said, the current situation does kinda suck, because Blu-Ray discs have no competition, thus if they really wanted to, they could charge a hell of a lot more than they do (which is already too expensive in most cases). Kudos to SONY and all involved that conspired to cause the extinction of the only decent alternative to Blu-Ray that we had.... Not!

DaViD Boulet 03-17-2009 06:53 PM

This is a red herring product. No one should break a sweat worrying for one moment about its viability or potential harm to the HD-format industry. We've got a stable product. And it doesn't need "competition" with another HD format for a low price... it's got DVD to compete with which will continue to bring BD prices down.

The manufacturers NEED to recoup some of their HD investment for the short term. It's ok to pay a little more early on in a format's life cycle. If companies couldn't make money, they wouldn't invest in the formats that make our high-def HT possible.

Bob Walters 03-18-2009 04:28 AM

Folks,
IMHO, Blu-Ray will NOT survive & I think everyone here knows why!!!!!