Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 03-20-2009   #13
Administrator

Default Re: A New HD format from Sim2, better than Blu-ray?

While I agree with what gstarr says in general, there is one thing that I would perhaps disagree with. That is the issue of the affordability of having a large collection of HD movies.

Now ripping Blu-ray discs can consume up to 30 GB which would make what gstarr says seem correct. A 1 TB drive would get used up pretty fast. But there is a lot of extra space consumed that is not really necessary for many people by ripping the files to the computerdisk, not to mention this is probably illegal these days.

But there is another method of making a HD movie collection and that is to collect movies encoded at lower bit rates than Blu-ray will provide but high enough to rival OTA broadcasts. I use 9 mbps for most of my movies with h.264 compression and they run about 6-7 GB per 2 hour movie. That's about 150 movies on a TB drive. To me that is very affordable.

Now I'm sure the question of where do these file come from is bound to be next. I get them from my U-verse DVR that I play into a Hauppague 1212 HD PVR box attached to one of my HTPCs. I also will use another HTPC that has a combo HD DVD/Blu-ray drive to play into the 1212. Sometimes if there is a good version from broadcast TV, I will use the captured file from my MIT tuner and strip the commercials.

So far I have collected about 200 HD movies, many of which are not available on Blu-ray.

For more info on the 1212 see: http://www.highdefinitionblog.com/?page_id=331

Last edited by rbinck; 03-20-2009 at 03:32 PM..
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #14
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstarr View Post
Until internet downloading of 1080p/24 with the best audio codecs become feasible (meaning fairly quick downloads at a significantly cheaper price than Blu-Ray and most of the features on a Blu-Ray disc), the audiophiles and videophiles of the world will stick to Blu-Ray.... until high quality internet downlaods are available at a reasonable price. . Greg
Yes Blu/Ray rules until as you say Apple and the like deliver tru HD 1080p with True HD Audio until then I will keep my Oppo BDP-83 player
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009   #15

The whole downloading threat is red herring.

We've had standard-def downloading for years, and it hasn't impacted DVD sales. What it's impacted is DVD rentals.

As long as folks want to own movies, there will be a market for disc-based media.
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009   #16
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
The whole downloading threat is red herring.

We've had standard-def downloading for years, and it hasn't impacted DVD sales. What it's impacted is DVD rentals.

As long as folks want to own movies, there will be a market for disc-based media.
Yes I have over 500 DVDs, I wished the studios would give customers a deal and do trade in for Blu Ray discs for $10 that would be great
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #17

Think that blueray never survive.
katuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katuns View Post
Think that blueray never survive.
What's with putting this in your post:
[img]http://freebies.netii.net/public_html/quill.swf[/img]
I removed it, btw.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
announces, audio, blu, blue, blueray, bluray, dead, dvd, format, hd, high, newer, ray, sim2, super