Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 08-24-2008   #1

Default HD DVD - the best deal in HD

I know a number of HARDCORE home theater junkies who still are buying up titles in HD DVD and playing them as a reference source.

My Toshiba XA2 still works and I still use it from time to time. If it were to break - that would be it for me however.

I think the reviewers are straying away from using HD DVD for review sample materials despite you can get 1080p out of many of the discs.

Are you still using HD DVD?
Old 08-24-2008   #2

Default Re: HD DVD - the best deal in HD

Yeah, great deal, want to buy some good laser discs and a player to go with it???

I think you might still find Top Gun on it!

I still have an XA2, and FWIW it is one of the best scaling players I have ever seen, even besting my $7,000 Meridian, but I will not buy another HD DVD and when it dies, I'll throw it out and dump my discs and be purely Blu-ray.

Why waste good money after bad buying outdated technology?
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #3

Titles I own on LaserDisc that have never been released on DVD (much less Blu-Ray):

Light Years
Heart of Midnight
Twilight of the Cockroaches
The Best of Roger Rabbit
The Compleat Tex Avery

This doesn't even count things like the original, unaltered version of Pixar's "Knick Knack" (which is censored on DVD and Blu-Ray).

Your attitude is puzzling, kennyt, especially in regards to HD-DVD, which isn't outdated in the slightest. It's a dead format, to be sure, but not because technology somehow left it behind.
gbeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeenie View Post
Your attitude is puzzling, kennyt, especially in regards to HD-DVD, which isn't outdated in the slightest. It's a dead format, to be sure, but not because technology somehow left it behind.
OK, I correct myself, not outdated due to technology, but still a dead format. My original sentiment still stands, buying a dead format is pointless.... Years down the road when your (or my) player dies, and no one makes a replacement, your are just further behind the eight ball than before.

If you buy Blu-pray, you will at least be current for now!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #5
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Yeah, great deal, want to buy some good laser discs and a player to go with it??? I think you might still find Top Gun on it! I still have an XA2, and FWIW it is one of the best scaling players I have ever seen, even besting my $7,000 Meridian, but I will not buy another HD DVD and when it dies, I'll throw it out and dump my discs and be purely Blu-ray.
Never bought HD-DVD I waited for the war to declare a winner, now if Blu Ray could reduce prices of the software then it might take off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Why waste good money after bad buying outdated technology?
My sentiment exactly it is not the best use of capital!
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #6

Once again, HD DVD still beats the hell out of DVD. I will not buy dvds anymore. HD DVDs are now at Fry's in $8 - $12 range which is a great deal especially for HD media. We bought 10 HD DVDs last week which included the MI and Matrix trilogies for ~$27/trilogy.

I still have 3 players that support HD DVD. Two of which are LG dual format players which are still supported by LG.

Kennyt, when your are ready to dump your HD DVD collection, I'll send you an empty, pre-paid box to send them to me . Also, as you said, most of the HD DVD players have excellent up-conversion. So, if I had to buy a DVD player, I would probably try to find an HD DVD player before buying just a standard old DVD player.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2008, audio, blupray, deal, dvd, forum, hd, home, lg, link, money, photoshop, revolution, theatre, twilight