Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 06-08-2008   #7

Default Re: Toshiba knows no shame, plans to release super resolution dvd player

AGREED.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #8

Default Re: Toshiba knows no shame, plans to release super resolution dvd player

Gosh, I think there is still a market for upconverting DVD players for those people that don't want to (or can't) pay $500-$1000 for a Blu-ray player. I didn't see a price listed in the link, but I imagine it's sub $200 MSRP and will be less at retail.
faberryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #9

There are also a lot of J6Ps with tons of Wal-Mart $5.99 DVDs that don't want to spend the money for a BR player or don't understand BR players also play DVDs. This is a backwards step in technology to try to get money from those that don't understand it.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
This is a backwards step in technology to try to get money from those that don't understand it.
Not everyone wants to pay $500 for a DVD player even if it also happens to play $30 Blu-ray discs.

The pricing issue seems to be lost on everyone, most especially Sony and the studios.
faberryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #11

Angry Re: Toshiba knows no shame, plans to release super resolution dvd player

While I don't blame Toshiba for trying to capitalize on their technology, if a $25k Faroudja or $45k Snell & Wilcox can't bridge the gap between HD and DVD, well - what is going to.

In the end, 720 x 480i (or p) is just that = 345,600 pixels! No amount of technology can improve that to look identical to 1920 x 1080(p?) = 2,073,600 pixels.

This is last ditch attempt to recover from this HD-DVD debacle, and it reeks of last minute scrambling and floundering about.

Even my personal choice of the Mark Levinson No. 51 DVD Media Player (which was hand made to spec and sold less than 130 pieces worldwide at US $20k) falls far short of HDTV 1080p. But, it has better color resolution and sound decoding for DVDs than any other player manufactured, thus far.

I keep hoping - and I keep coming up with . . . near to nothing!

Jeremy

The Kipnis Studios
www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Video Calibration Labs
www.VideoCalibration.com

Epiphany Recordings Ltd.
www.EpiphanyRecordings.com

----------

KSS DL.TV Video Feature (NEW)
http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki...TV_-_6_08.html
The Kipnis Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kipnis Studios View Post
I keep hoping - and I keep coming up with . . . near to nothing!
WOW!

That pretty much sums up my and Jerry's talks on the pre/pro world as well!

I think the AV industry needs to reach one, simply obtainable standard ASAFP or risk losing a ton of people. When Jerry and I are lost as to what to buy, what the hell is the rest of the world doing?????

I say make SOMETHING standard, say bitstream to pre/pro or receiver and make every player/pre/pro/receiver deal with this IMMEDIATELY!

Even I am fed up with dealing with varying standards! Come on guys, make one thing work and make it universal so we all can begin to benefit from the new codecs!!!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
code, date, digital, dv983h, dvd, oppo, player, players, res, resolution, source, super, superresolution, toshiba, usc, vp50, whats