Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   HD DVD Software & Hardware (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware-50/)
-   -   Best Buy gives away $50 to HD DVD owners (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware/1730-best-buy-gives-away-50-hd-dvd-owners.html)

IndoSlim 03-19-2008 09:17 AM

Best Buy gives away $50 to HD DVD owners

Apparently, Best Buy will be sending people that they can determine as having purchased a HD DVD player from them, a $50 gift card. Check out this link for the full story:

http://www.twice.com/article/CA65423...?desc=topstory

I'm not sure I get it though. Seems like a waste of money on their part. I wish I could get someone to pay me every time I make a wrong decision. Nothing against HD DVD owners, but the fact remains that HD DVD lost, and Blu Ray won. I was so hoping Blu Ray would lose, but I was determined not to purchase a High Def player until there was a clear winner. Why, because I didn't want to make the wrong decision. Unfortunately, people that purchased a HD DVD player, made the wrong decision. But now, they are being paid for it. Does anyone else see something wrong here? I guess I can't speak against this too harshly simply because it IS Best Buy's money to do with it as they wish. So if they want to give it away, they have every right to do so.

TheMoose 03-19-2008 10:12 AM

Re: Best Buy gives away $50 to HD DVD owners

Best Buy is giving $50 Gift Cards to Customers Who Purchased an HD-DVD

Mar 19, 2008
Best Buy Stands Behind Customers By Awarding More Than $10 Million in Gift Cards to HD-DVD Purchasers

Leading Consumer Electronics Retailer will Send $50 Gift Cards to Customers Who Purchased an HD-DVD Player from Best Buy in the U.S.
MINNEAPOLIS --(Business Wire)-- Mar. 19, 2008 With Blu-ray declaring victory over HD-DVD in the high definition movie format war, Best Buy, the nation's largest consumer electronics retailer, is giving $50 gift cards to customers who purchased an HD-DVD player or HD-DVD attachment from its U.S. stores before February 23, 2008. Customers will get a gift card for each player or HD-DVD attachment that they purchased. Through this program, Best Buy will distribute more than $10 million in gift cards to customers across the country.

"The DVD format war has divided our customers in a way we haven't seen since Betamax took on VHS more than 20 years ago," said Brian J. Dunn, president and chief operating officer for Best Buy. "At Best Buy, we understood and shared our customers' frustrations as they were being asked to choose one format or the other. Now that the format war is over, we hope these gift cards will reassure our customers that we will help them make a smooth transition into the right technology for their needs."

Most Best Buy customers won't have to do anything to receive their gift card. As a demonstration of its commitment to its customers, Best Buy will proactively mail cards to all customers that the company can identify as having purchased an HD-DVD player. Members of the Best Buy Reward Zone program, customers who purchased Performance Service Plans (PSPs) or who made their purchase on BestBuy.com should look for their gift cards in the mail by May 1. Other customers who may not be easily identified can call (888) BEST BUY to receive their gift cards with proof of purchase through a credit card or their Best Buy receipt.

"The beauty of this offer is that it doesn't require our customers to give up their HD-DVD player," said Barry Judge, chief marketing officer for Best Buy. "We know that many people who purchased these players have HD-DVD movies that they would like to continue to watch. We're telling our customers they can keep their players to play these movies as well as their older DVDs and use the $50 to treat themselves to anything else in our stores."

HD-DVD players can actually deliver greatly enhanced video performance with standard DVDs by upconverting the video resolution.

Beginning on March 21, customers who do want to get rid of their HD-DVD players can visit Best Buy's Online Trade-In Center at http://www.bestbuytradein.com. Visitors to the site will receive instant estimates of the value of their HD-DVD players and movies. Those who agree with the estimates can then ship their goods to the Trade-In Center free of charge by downloading a prepaid shipping label and will receive an additional gift card as payment for their trade-in. This service is open to HD-DVD owners regardless of where they bought their player.

Ken S 03-24-2008 03:56 PM

From The New York Times - March 24, 2008:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ends/#more-991
________________________________________ ______

March 19, 2008, 12:02 am

HD DVD Owners, Some Stores Want to Make Amends

By Eric Taub

When a line of consumer electronics is curtailed, it’s often the retailer that gets the blame for pushing that “piece of junk” in the first place.

Now that the HD DVD format has gone belly up, stranding consumers with a defunct technology, Best Buy wants to make sure that that doesn’t happen to them. To assuage the feelings of the 200,000 customers who purchased HD DVD hardware or drives from a Best Buy store, the company will announce Wednesday that it is giving each buyer a $50 gift card to spend on whatever they want.

Best Buy’s move follows a similar, but less public, step from Circuit City. Earlier this month, Circuit City began to quietly take back HD DVD players, even if used, granting store credit for the full purchase price. The only caveats: returns must be made within 90 days of purchase. And you have to ask for it or learn about the action on the store’s Web site.

The Best Buy cards, which will not expire, will be sent automatically to most customers who purchased HD DVD hardware by February 23, when Toshiba announced that it was abandoning the format. Best Buy’s list includes those who belong to their rewards program, bought extended warranties, or purchased the machine on its Web site. Others need to show proof of purchase to get their cards.

If you don’t want to keep your HD DVD machine to use as a standard DVD player, the company will even buy it back via its Web site, www.bestbuytradein.com. In that case, customers can double-dip, getting a second gift card for the sale. (No trade-in prices have yet been established, said a company spokesman).

The HD DVD players typically sold for around $400, though they were heavily discounted before Christmas and then again in January.

“We’re very committed to moving from a transactional to a relationship space with our customers,” said Brian J. Dunn, Best Buy’s president and chief operating officer. “We don’t want to leave customers hanging.”

Promoting the fact that it is shelling out potentially $10 million could be a great public relations tactic. HD DVD buyers are likely to feel less ripped off; and customers, armed with an additional $50 (not to mention the planned federal cash incentive planned for May), may very likely purchase something a bit more expensive than they would otherwise–and do so at Best Buy rather than at a competitor’s.

Best Buy is certainly not the first electronics retailer to try this strategy. Last summer, Apple shocked early adopters when it slashed the price of the 8GB iPhone from $599 to $399 barely two months after launch. To atone, the company gave purchasers a $100 Apple Store credit.

Did Best Buy look at Apple’s strategy when formulating its move? “I would be disingenuous if I did not tell you we constantly survey what the industry is doing,” Mr. Dunn said.

deacongreg 03-24-2008 07:24 PM

I`m glad to see this type of customer service and professionalism. This is the kind of action that will keep customers, and not upset them, like the format war.

Its still hard for me to believe that Toshiba has not taken any action itself.

homentertain 03-25-2008 08:14 PM

Well people are not fond of hd dvds now.

Ken S 03-28-2008 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spencer F. Katt, eWeek - March 24, 2008...