Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   HD DVD Software & Hardware (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware-50/)
-   -   Possible hd-dvd lawsuit? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware/1687-possible-hd-dvd-lawsuit.html)

TheMoose 03-11-2008 01:12 PM

Possible hd-dvd lawsuit?

well it was bound to happen!
hd-dvd Lawsuit investigation

Toshiba HD DVD Investigation
Did you buy a Toshiba HD DVD Player only to find out that it is now obsolete?

Girard Gibbs is currently conducting an investigation on behalf of consumers who purchased Toshiba HD DVD players.

On February 19, 2008 Toshiba announced that it would no longer support the HD DVD format. Up to the announcement, Toshiba continued to market HD DVD players to potential customers. Consumers complain that they have invested hundreds of dollars in a technology that has become obsolete in less than two years. If you purchased an HD DVD player and would like to learn more about our investigation, please fill out the form below.

Girard Gibbs, a national litigation firm specializing in consumer class actions, securities and complex business litigation, has recovered billions of dollars on behalf of its clients. Girard Gibbsís managing partner Daniel Girard was recently voted one of Northern Californiaís Super Lawyers by Law & Politics Magazine, recognizing him as one of the top 5-percent of attorneys practicing in Northern California.

IMO the only people with a leg to stand on are those that bought players at fire sale prices between the Warner announcement & Toshibas announcement they were dropping hd-dvd & how many of those sales were to people buying an extra player because they knew hd-dvd was dead & they wanted a backup?

If you bought it before the WB announcement you should have known you were taking a chance on having an obsolete format.
The only ones that will make any $$$$$$$ off this is the lawyers!

deacongreg 03-11-2008 01:32 PM

Re: Possible hd-dvd lawsuit?

Well, like I said, this whole thing was bad from the start. So, maybe only the lawyers will make money, but more importantly, we have another group of angry, disgruntled consumers again. Whether they should have known better or not.

If growth and more people enjoying what we enjoy Moose is the prime directive (Kirk, Star Trek, lol!!), then we can not continue to have these kind of things happen.

prerich 03-11-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deacongreg (Post 12731)
Well, like I said, this whole thing was bad from the start. So, maybe only the lawyers will make money, but more importantly, we have another group of angry, disgruntled consumers again. Whether they should have known better or not.

If growth and more people enjoying what we enjoy Moose is the prime directive (Kirk, Star Trek, lol!!), then we can not continue to have these kind of things happen.

I for one am not disgruntled (well - the only thinig I'm disgruntled about is having to wait until the summer for my vincent tube cd player). But back to the subject - I'm not disgruntled about having a HD-DVD player that I bought in the "fire sale". It still gets plenty of playing time, its a good upconveter, and - I like the way it looks :). In other words - as long as I have HD-DVD's it will always have a use, because I don't rebuy hd material just because of the format. Whatever I bought in HD-DVD will remain that way - I will not transfer it over to BD. Whatever is BD is BD and whatever is HD-DVD will remain HD-DVD. I wonder why people think that HD-DVD owners will be sobbing and that they need BD owners shoulders to cry on. Its not my first format to bite the dust. Actually I anticipated this and went Purple. And guess what...I'm still very happy :D

P.S. I'm even happier because my Snells are coming back on line - I finally got two of the Tonegen-Foster tweeters (very rare) off of Ebay (they also made a tweeter for KEF-Linn).

erikduop 12-03-2010 03:36 AM

The final blow to HD-DVDís format-war effort against Sonyís Blu-ray came as Warner Bros. Studios announced that it would press high-definition movies only in the Blu-ray format. Ever since, most companies that had been aggressively campaigning for HD-DVD have retreated or switched camps. Toshiba, one of the prime supporters of the losing format has announced that it will cease production of HD-DVD players. Microsoft is considering Blu-ray extensions for the Xbox 360.