Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 03-05-2008   #1
rex

Default Trade in HD-DVD player for Sony BD player?!

I knew that Sony had had some promotions in Europe for consumers to trade in their HD DVD player for a BD player. Though I can not understand why they would start a new such offer now in Switzerland:
"if you buy either the BDP-S500 or BDP-S300 Blu-ray player before the end of March, you'll then be able to send in your HD DVD player for Sony to recycle and receive a discount of 200 Swiss Francs (about $190), plus both the Spider-Man trilogy and Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy on Blu-ray." http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/03/04...s-in-switzerl/
Why would they do this now? Never happen here!

Apparently Circuit City is letting customers return their HD DVD players (purchased within 90 days instead of the usual 30) for a full credit. http://gizmodo.com/363974/circuit-ci...-says-employee

Last edited by rex; 03-05-2008 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: addition
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #2

Default Re: Trade in HD-DVD player for Sony BD player?!

Pretty cool of CC, I guess the are trying to do anything to bring business back to them..
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #3
rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Pretty cool of CC, I guess the are trying to do anything to bring business back to them..
Note that the Circuit City deal is not being publicized or offered to customers unless the customer first complains and asks to make the return. I wonder what they will do with the returned players? Probably resell them at a discount.
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #4

Open box here I come....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #5

That indeed is excellent of Circuit City. Great in fact. Something that Toshiba should have done to compensate their customers after their announcement.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008   #6

I agree with Deacon on this one.

Toshiba should have (or still should) take care of the people who invested in their players.

SMART move by Sony to swipe market share. VERY SMART
Sponsored Links

Tags
bd, blu, dvd, hd, hddvd, player, players, ray, recycle, recycling, software, sony, trade, tradein, video