Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   HD DVD Software & Hardware (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware-50/)
-   -   Onkyo Announces They Will Discontinue Development and Production of HD DVD Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware/1640-onkyo-announces-they-will-discontinue-development-production-hd-dvd-players.html)

AVRevForum.com 02-28-2008 09:57 AM

Onkyo Announces They Will Discontinue Development and Production of HD DVD Players

Onkyo Corporation has decided that Onkyo will discontinue the development and production of HD DVD players.

Onkyo has distributed and sold approximately 2000 units of the HD DVD players in the selected markets due to the growth of the large screen display market and high demand for home entertainment media. Onkyo has reached its decision to discontinue the development and production of HD DVD players after thorough review of Toshiba’s public announcement “Toshiba Announces Discontinuation of HD DVD Businesses” on February 19, 2008. As Onkyo manufactures HD DVD players with core parts supplied by Toshiba, it will be difficult for Onkyo to continue its further development and production of HD DVD players. Despite this decision, Onkyo will continue to provide full product support and after-sales service for all owners of Onkyo HD DVD players.

Regarding Onkyo’s prospective marketing of home theater products, Onkyo continues to provide innovative home theater products with high definition sound and images that are compatible with next generation disc formats such as Blu-ray.

While Onkyo has been an enthusiastic supporter of the HD DVD format, it was not an exclusive relationship. Onkyo’s research and development teams have maintained a parallel development program for the competing Blu-ray technology.

luisranger2bn 03-10-2008 12:44 PM

Re: Onkyo Announces They Will Discontinue Development and Production of HD DVD Player

that's right i'm right,all the time i told for this forum the hd dvd is dead or the time is short and the some people argue me and insult me for my bad english and also they questioning my procedence on the arm forces [RANGER] it's just the time to time i'm right and i tell you again some companies is draw or cut producing hd dvd players i think it's jumping to blu ray and i tell in a few month's company like onkyo and microsoft is start to producing a bd player and the hd dvd players existent it's may created a firmware to change the format or change the software to accept both format,i think is better for all and i look the inside the different player's [ hd dvd,blu ray] is a same configuration as the same optics.

deacongreg 03-11-2008 11:26 AM

Re: Onkyo Announces They Will Discontinue Development and Production of HD DVD Player

Good to hear that Onkyo will have after-sales support.