Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 02-16-2008   #1

Default And HD DVD dies

Quietly
http://www.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/
http://www.reuters.com/article/compa...27196120080216

Last edited by akbungle; 02-16-2008 at 07:13 AM..
akbungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #2

Default Re: And HD DVD dies

Believe it or not - there are still some in the HD DVD camp who think this isn't over yet.

They shot blanks after CES. Not impressive.

This wasn't a war, it was a lay down by Toshiba.
Old 02-16-2008   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
Believe it or not - there are still some in the HD DVD camp who think this isn't over yet.
I don't know Jerry did you read the link(s)? This is a Sat(Today) press release. I think EVERYONE knows this is done.
Old 02-16-2008   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post

They shot blanks after CES. Not impressive.

This wasn't a war, it was a lay down by Toshiba.
I was surprised by the lack of any action by Toshiba or the HD-DVD group since the Warner announcement.
At CES instead of fighting back & showing the TL51 disc & new players they just folded up their tents & left.
The lowering of hardware prices was half hearted at best, I don't care how cheap the player is if there is no content to play on it.

I think the loss can be seen as a failure by Toshiba as much as a victory for Blu-Ray.
They seemingly had many advantages out of the gate but either they got cocky or were incompetent & it's going to cost them big bucks!

I thought the WB announcement was the beginning of the end but I didn't expect the end to come so quickly & without a fight.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #5

Outstanding! As a result of the format war, I've been on the fence for quite a while not willing to put any money into equipment that might soon have limited or no program material. Although BluRay was obviously gaining more traction, I had still been thinking I would eventually need to purchase either two HD disc players or wait for a gltich-free high quality dual format player if I wanted to have access to all available HD titiles.

The information regarding Toshiba's white flag is the deal maker for me. I can't wait to get my hands on either the Denon DVD-3800BD or Marantz BD8002 that should be shipping soon.

Since I don't have HDMI connectivity on my Lexicon MC12B (and not willing to pony the cash for a new pre/pro just yet) and am equally interested in the hi-rez audio as I am the video, I believe these two disc players are the only ones that will internally decode and output all high-rez formats via an analog connection.
ChiefTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #6

They reallly F&^%$#D consumers over with this. At a bare minimum they should be making combo players for the next 5 years!! I love the XA2, but due to them not supporting thier product and protecting the software investment of consumers I will not by another Toshiba product again. Let me put it this way. Pioneer still has a laserdisc player on their website!!! Laserdisc died 11 years ago, but they are protecting the software investment of their consumers. Looking forward to my Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD or 2.0 model. Official congrats to the bluray crowd!! Just don't get overzealous by adding more salt to the wounds of hddvd owners.

Last edited by PRO-630HD; 02-16-2008 at 11:20 AM..
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links