Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   HD DVD Software & Hardware (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware-50/)
-   -   HELP with Toshiba HD-DVD A35!!!! (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware/1545-help-toshiba-hd-dvd-a35.html)

rex 02-06-2008 02:17 PM

HELP with Toshiba HD-DVD A35!!!!

I recently upgraded my Toshiba HD-DVD A3 to an A35. However, I could get no signal to come thru on the HDMI output. Toshiba tech support was of no help solving the problem, suggesting that the unit was defective. Instead of sending it in to Toshiba for repair, I decided to exchange it for a new replacement from my retailer -- Amazon.com. (Amazon paid for the return postage, which Toshiba would not do, and shipped a new repacement overnight delivery by FedEx for no additional charge.) However, when the replacement arrived, I discovered the same problem, the HDMI signal still doesn't work. AAARRGH!
The source of the problem seems to be an incompatibility between my AV receiver and the A35. (The HDMI works when connected directly to the TV.)
Once again Toshiba tech support was of no help. They could not understand why (when set to the same resolution, 720p) the HDMI signal from the A35 would not be compatible with my receiver, when the A3 signal was. Neither audio or video comes thru on the A35.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Are there any settings on the A35 that could make a difference? My receiver is a Samsung HT-AS720S which I would prefer not to have to replace. The sound is better than systems costing several times more.
Thanks.

Lotus 02-06-2008 02:43 PM

Re: HELP with Toshiba HD-DVD A35!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rex (Post 10770)
I recently upgraded my Toshiba HD-DVD A3 to an A35. However, I could get no signal to come thru on the HDMI output. Toshiba tech support was of no help solving the problem, suggesting that the unit was defective. Instead of sending it in to Toshiba for repair, I decided to exchange it for a new replacement from my retailer -- Amazon.com. (Amazon paid for the return postage, which Toshiba would not do, and shipped a new repacement overnight delivery by FedEx for no additional charge.) However, when the replacement arrived, I discovered the same problem, the HDMI signal still doesn't work. AAARRGH!
The source of the problem seems to be an incompatibility between my AV receiver and the A35. (The HDMI works when connected directly to the TV.)
Once again Toshiba tech support was of no help. They could not understand why (when set to the same resolution, 720p) the HDMI signal from the A35 would not be compatible with my receiver, when the A3 signal was. Neither audio or video comes thru on the A35.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Are there any settings on the A35 that could make a difference? My receiver is a Samsung HT-AS720S which I would prefer not to have to replace. The sound is better than systems costing several times more.
Thanks.

You need Firmware Update v1.3 more than likely. It came out to handle certain HDMI handshake issues with certain Receivers made by Etronics. I believe that Samsung is one of the lesser known ones.

If that doesn't solve it let us know, and I'll plow through the manual and try and help you out.

rlpiii 02-06-2008 02:52 PM

Good to know Amazon is stand-up about quickly replacing equipment bought from them that's causing you problems. I bought a Toshiba HD-A30 and a Samsung BD-P1400 as christmas gifts for friends, and fortunately, they have not had any problems.

One possible problem could be that you need a firmware update for the new player.

I am assuming you hooked up everything as you did before with the A3, and can swap out the A3 with A35 and have sound. You may also want to verify in the A35 settings that you have both audio and video set-up to output on HDMI, and that you have selected an audio track on your HD DVD that your receiver is capable of decoding.

rex 02-06-2008 03:47 PM

Lotus & rlpiii,
Thanks guys. I appreciate your feedback. It already has the latest firmware v. 1.3. The samsung receiver has decoders for: Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo 6, etc. But I don't think it is an audio decoding problem, since the video is also affected. The setup screen doesn't even come thru. I didn't know that compatibility issues like this existed. How would I know in advance if another receiver would be compatible?

Lotus 02-06-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rex (Post 10791)
Lotus & rlpiii,
Thanks guys. I appreciate your feedback. It already has the latest firmware v. 1.3. The samsung receiver has decoders for: Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo 6, etc. But I don't think it is an audio decoding problem, since the video is also affected. The setup screen doesn't even come thru. I didn't know that compatibility issues like this existed. How would I know in advance if another receiver would be compatible?

Set it up via component to your TV and check the settings but first:

On the XA2 there is a "mode switch," that you have to slide over to "2", this can be checked by opening (on the XA2) the little swing down door in the front. See if yours has the same thing. You can't switch modes with the power on. If it's not in mode 2 that is your problem! If the A35 has the same "Mode," then I'm betting that is your problem.

You aren't getting an error message so the other thing is the Cable. The A35 is Deep Color capable and needs an HDMI 1.3 cable.

Lotus 02-07-2008 02:47 PM

Rex- Is there a mode switch on the A35?

I'm just hoping your unit is now working.