Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   HD DVD Software & Hardware (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware-50/)
-   -   Toshiba HD XA2 True HD Audio (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware/152-toshiba-hd-xa2-true-hd-audio.html)

Donzilla 06-07-2007 12:59 PM

Toshiba HD XA2 True HD Audio

A recent article in the May MHT review of the Toshiba HD XA2 Hd DVD player the purelink hdmi switcher was mentioned as a way to strip out the HD audio tracks from the HD DVD's recorded with such. It mentions it has the ability to strip such audio and send them to a non HD reciever and or Pre-Pro. Does this maintain the uncompressed HD audio throught the system to the speakers via the optical or coaxial digital conversation and what about Dolby Digital Plus through this process? Thanks to anyone with any insight.

William L Carman 06-07-2007 01:10 PM

Re: Toshiba HD XA2 True HD Audio

I am also interested in hearing about how well this switcher works with the newer high resolution audio formats. I have an older non-HDMI receiver that I am very pleased with. This might well be my answer!

Bob Rapoport 06-07-2007 01:52 PM

Hi from Bob at PureLink. The HS-42A is capable of extracting the HD Audio content from the HDMI signal. The level of resolution is determined by the player and the software. The switcher does not care, it just passes it along.

The Dolby TruHD and DTS Master HD soundtracks, found exclusively on HD-DVD and Blu-ray discs, and only accessible via the HDMI connection, are the non-compressed audio content. However, not all players are capable yet of decoding this bit stream because their not powerful enough. When this happens, the player automatically defaults to the next highest resolution content, which is the LPCM 5.1 channel version. This content is better than Dolby Digital Plus or DTS Neo-6 on DVD, with more dynamic range than a regular DVD but not as much as we will hear when the players or receivers show up with enough computing power to actually decode the new audio codecs with no compression.

Hope this helps. The HS-42A is capable of taking that audio content and routing it to your current receiver or preamp digital audio input with one coaxial or toslink cable.

mjaudio 06-07-2007 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Rapoport (Post 495)
Hi from Bob at PureLink. The HS-42A is capable of extracting the HD Audio content from the HDMI signal. The level of resolution is determined by the player and the software. The switcher does not care, it just passes it along.

The Dolby TruHD and DTS Master HD soundtracks, found exclusively on HD-DVD and Blu-ray discs, and only accessible via the HDMI connection, are the non-compressed audio content. However, not all players are capable yet of decoding this bit stream because their not powerful enough. When this happens, the player automatically defaults to the next highest resolution content, which is the LPCM 5.1 channel version. This content is better than Dolby Digital Plus or DTS Neo-6 on DVD, with more dynamic range than a regular DVD but not as much as we will hear when the players or receivers show up with enough computing power to actually decode the new audio codecs with no compression.

Hope this helps. The HS-42A is capable of taking that audio content and routing it to your current receiver or preamp digital audio input with one coaxial or toslink cable.

Are there any plans to make a similar device for only 2 or 1 inputs and a single output to extract the new HD sound codecs? I would like to try one of these out but at $700 makes me shy away.

Donzilla 06-08-2007 08:44 AM

Bob,
Thanks for the feedback from the purelink source its self. I certainly could use an HDMI switching source and with the advent of extracting the HD audio formats through your HS-42A is a bonus i could utilize, as MJ mentioned the price for such a device is by no means inexpensive at $700.00. Would it be possible for Purelink in conjunction with AVR to offer a coupon and or discount code that could be offered via this forum for AVR forum members? Just a thought, as if this were the case i certainly wouldn't hesitate to purchase one. Thanks again for the enlightenment.

Regards, Zilla

Bob Rapoport 06-08-2007 08:46 AM

Reply to question: Sorry, we only make the HS-42A with the 4x2 capability plus HD audio breakout. Also, both outputs are HDCP compliant, not just the first.
We dont make anythihng smaller because it would not have made it less expensive.

Our next model will be a step up, with 6x2 capability including 2 component inputs, separate HD audio breakout. Hope that helps.