Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008   #325
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 938
Default Re: HD DVD about to fight back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbungle View Post
I think both of you would benefit from reading this:
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...ath-of-hd-dvd/
You may not agree/believe everything there but it is a very good read.
What a horribly written article. The "facts," it claims are for the most part pure rubbish. This was written by an anti-MS person who had no time to check his facts. The writer has no idea where to get data from. Reading that article and some of the links to his previous articles shows his total inability to obtain accurate data. That is why the media isn't reporting the same things as him. Because they're able to get the data he is unaware of.

The writer conveniently mistook PS3 shipped numbers for sales. Then he put up the sales graph from NPD which didn't back up his claims. He also mistook 360 shipped numbers for sales later.

The 360 continues to sell better than it did the previous year. MS is shipping less 360s, but selling more. This is roughly what the 360 did:

2005: 3M in sales (shipped 3M).
2006: 6M in sales (shipped 10M).
2007: 8M in sales (shipped 7M).

The PS3 is doing ok, but with the exception of January of this year has been in 3rd place since release behind the Wii and 360. The writer also seems to have a problem understanding that NPD doesn't report ALL sales but Quarterly Release reports for stock holders generally do. In one of his articles he even talks about "downloads," and how MS is doing horribly. MS doesn't let NPD or anyone track their LIVE sales. They do however announce their numbers to stockholders. LIVE sold more movies than HDM combined last year.

There are 17M 360s sold out there. There are over 10M currently registered XBOX LIVE members, and 7M that never renewed their memberships. I can log into Halo 3 and see 1M people online that I could possibly have a chance to play with. COD4 has just as many players to choose from.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #326
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 120
Default Re: HD DVD about to fight back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
What a horribly written article. The "facts," it claims are for the most part pure rubbish.
Relax Lotus that's why I wrote this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbungle View Post
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...ath-of-hd-dvd/
You may not agree/believe everything there but it is a very good read.
Several pieces of information made a hellva lot of sense to me, especially about MS pushing Toshiba into doing this format, they aren't stupid and know to go it alone was half suicide but with MS weight behind it, what the heck? And with the codecs MS pushing and HDi, I remember that being VERY important to MS. Granted I agree this was a MS hater that wrote this( pretty obvious) but it does not mean he/she did not have some very valid points.
__________________
FORMAT WAR COMPLETE.(finally!!)

Last edited by akbungle; 02-22-2008 at 07:51 PM..
akbungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #327
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 938
Default Re: HD DVD about to fight back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbungle View Post
Relax Lotus that's why I wrote this:


Several pieces of information made a hellva lot of sense to me, especially about MS pushing Toshiba into doing this format, they aren't stupid and know to go it alone was half suicide but with MS weight behind it, what the heck? And with the codecs MS pushing and HDi, I remember that being VERY important to MS. Granted I agree this was a MS hater that wrote this( pretty obvious) but it does not mean he/she did not have some very valid points.
It's all based off faulty assumptions. Toshiba went after MS.

HD DVD was Toshiba's mistake pure and simple. MS helped them and then wanted something from Toshiba and they didn't get it. At least that is my understanding.

The facts in the article are not even facts for the most part. I only pointed out the big errors about the 360 not to mention Windows CE, etc.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #328
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 272
Default Re: HD DVD about to fight back...

Quote:
While I've heard the PS3 will be upgraded to 2.0 spec, the addition of DTS MA internal decoding I had not heard of nor do I expect 5.1 or 7.1 analog outputs (which would be rquired for MS decoding) It WILL send LPCM via HDMI, and might do bitstream, but I highly doubt it will do analog audio, I just don't see Sony having put that kind of DAC's into that thing!
A Sony insider has confirmed that DTS-HD MA decoding will be firmware updated for the PS3 along with 2.0, but this will be timed to come after Panny's BD50 2.0 player has had a chance to hit the market and gather some sales.

What's "MS decoding"? Will HDMI not work for you for a particular reason? HDMI can handle 7.1 LPCM.

So far the word (sadly, the PS3's one real fault) is that it won't be able to bitstream advanced audio for external decoding. However the DTS-HD MA update will solve getting lossless out of DTS for most of us.

The PS3 only does stereo analog out. Get the new Panny BD50 if you need 7.1 analog output along with internal decoding (and bitstreaming capability) when it's released.
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #329
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 272
Default Re: HD DVD about to fight back...

Quote:
The deal is, Blu-Ray should not have ever been launched in the condition and state it was in.
As you point out with these new Sony players just catching up to what HD DVD already had.
BD is now catching up with 2.0 web features and PIP of HD DVD.

HD DVD never caught up with BD's 40 mbps video, lossless on all titles because of 1.5 bandwidth, or 50GB manufacture.
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #330
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 938
Default Re: HD DVD about to fight back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
BD is now catching up with 2.0 web features and PIP of HD DVD.

HD DVD never caught up with BD's 40 mbps video, lossless on all titles because of 1.5 bandwidth, or 50GB manufacture.
Do you ever get tired of thumping the chest of BD?

Because it isn't a GOOD thing for BD to have a 2.0 profile. Your point proves his point. Can't you see that?

BD came out before it was ready pure and simple.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Tags
boulet, david, don, dondvd, dvd, gay, hd, tl

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back to the Future: Part Two--Hovland Robinson_A Preamps (Audio & Video) 0 12-11-2007 06:15 PM
Back to the Future: Getting another Mark Levinson No. 40 JerryDelColliano Preamps (Audio & Video) 1 11-21-2007 05:25 PM
Mascot Fight - The Duck vs The Cougar bryan562 Off-Topic Posts 1 09-15-2007 08:51 AM
BACK LIGHTING deacongreg Remotes & System Control 4 08-30-2007 12:45 PM
Server is back up for Forum JerryDelColliano Discuss AVRev.com News 3 08-02-2007 05:14 AM




SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1