Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 02-22-2008   #319

Default Re: HD DVD about to fight back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
don't forget that the PS3 will be updated for full 2.0 profile spec as well as internal DTS-HD MA decoding once Panny has had the BD50 out for a few months to earn some sales..
David,

While I've heard the PS3 will be upgraded to 2.0 spec, the addition of DTS MA internal decoding I had not heard of nor do I expect 5.1 or 7.1 analog outputs (which would be rquired for MS decoding) It WILL send LPCM via HDMI, and might do bitstream, but I highly doubt it will do analog audio, I just don't see Sony having put that kind of DAC's into that thing!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #320
rex

Default BD live (Blu-ray 2.0) players, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
Rex,

don't forget that the PS3 will be updated for full 2.0 profile spec ...
Right, that is why I said "current console players".
As early as last summer Disney announced the release of their platinum line in BD live (2.0) format. http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...ay-discs.phtml
However, it may very well be next summer before the new players actually hit the maket. From bluray.com:
Sony will be introducing two new Blu-ray Disc Players. One the first week of July 2008, Model# BDP-S350, which passes all high bit advanced audio codecs (like the Panasonic DMP-BD30) to an outboard decoder (Pre-Amp or Receiver) and will be Profile 2.0 for BD-Live. The other player, coming out the first week of August 2008, the BDP-S550, will incorperate all the high bit advanced audio codec decoders in the player and will also be Profile 2.0. Both are HDMI 1.3a, catagory 2 compliant (output). Load times are faster. Both will play CD's, but not SACD.
The tentative price points will be:
Sony BDP-S350 $ 349.99
Sony BDP-S550 $ 449.99

Erstwhile supporters of the now nearly defunct HD DVD format, like myself, might smugly point out that the hardware features newly mandated in Blu-ray 2.0 were already mandated in HD DVD 1.0 and that all HD DVD players on the market today can support the kinds of features that Blu-ray 2.0 will introduce.
When asked why current players were released to the market when in such a primitive state, manufacturers blamed the release of HD DVD and said it forced them to come to market too soon. "We should have waited another year to introduce Blu-ray to the public, but the format war changed the situation."

Even though Blu-ray won the war, they are still behind the technology curve. Still, all of this may not matter much to consumers who just want to watch the movie and are not too interested in extra bonus features, etc. (Unless, as some suspect, at some time in the future, web connectivity becomes required to watch the movie.)
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #321

Red face Re: BD live (Blu-ray 2.0) players, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
Right, that is why I said "current console players".
As early as last summer Disney announced the release of their platinum line in BD live (2.0) format. http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...ay-discs.phtml
However, it may very well be next summer before the new players actually hit the maket. From bluray.com:
Sony will be introducing two new Blu-ray Disc Players. One the first week of July 2008, Model# BDP-S350, which passes all high bit advanced audio codecs (like the Panasonic DMP-BD30) to an outboard decoder (Pre-Amp or Receiver) and will be Profile 2.0 for BD-Live. The other player, coming out the first week of August 2008, the BDP-S550, will incorperate all the high bit advanced audio codec decoders in the player and will also be Profile 2.0. Both are HDMI 1.3a, catagory 2 compliant (output). Load times are faster. Both will play CD's, but not SACD.
The tentative price points will be:
Sony BDP-S350 $ 349.99
Sony BDP-S550 $ 449.99

Erstwhile supporters of the now nearly defunct HD DVD format, like myself, might smugly point out that the hardware features newly mandated in Blu-ray 2.0 were already mandated in HD DVD 1.0 and that all HD DVD players on the market today can support the kinds of features that Blu-ray 2.0 will introduce.
When asked why current players were released to the market when in such a primitive state, manufacturers blamed the release of HD DVD and said it forced them to come to market too soon. "We should have waited another year to introduce Blu-ray to the public, but the format war changed the situation."

Even though Blu-ray won the war, they are still behind the technology curve. Still, all of this may not matter much to consumers who just want to watch the movie and are not too interested in extra bonus features, etc. (Unless, as some suspect, at some time in the future, web connectivity becomes required to watch the movie.)
Rex,

The deal is, Blu-Ray should not have ever been launched in the condition and state it was in.
As you point out with these new Sony players just catching up to what HD DVD already had.
This whole thing is a big mess. To me, especially on the consumer level, there are no winners here. Just more upset people once again, more confusion.

Should not be so.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #322
rex

Default Re: BD live (Blu-ray 2.0) players, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Rex,

The deal is, Blu-Ray should not have ever been launched in the condition and state it was in.
As you point out with these new Sony players just catching up to what HD DVD already had.
This whole thing is a big mess. To me, especially on the consumer level, there are no winners here. Just more upset people once again, more confusion.

Should not be so.
I understand your point of view. A competitive marketplace produces messy results, not "ideal" ones. Still, market competition has its advantages. It is what pressured both camps into producing higher quality at a lower price. Interesting how, well before Toshiba's announcement, BD players' prices jumped up substantially. I don't think we'll be seeing any more free movie offers now!
After losing the betamax war, Sony started investing in Hollywood studios. They understood that the outcome of future technology wars would be determined, not just by the merits of the technology, but by broader strategic alliances.
Old 02-22-2008   #323

I think both of you would benefit from reading this:
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...ath-of-hd-dvd/
You may not agree/believe everything there but it is a very good read.
Old 02-22-2008   #324
rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbungle View Post
I think both of you would benefit from reading this:
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...ath-of-hd-dvd/
You may not agree/believe everything there but it is a very good read.
Indeed, a very interesting read. Thanks for posting it.
Sponsored Links

Tags
boulet, david, don, dondvd, dvd, gay, hd, tl