Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 02-19-2008   #301

Default Re: HD DVD about to fight back...

Quote:
We have XBOX 360, PlayStation 2&3, the Nintendo Wii, and all with various degrees of success have continued to move forward. So if I speculate that Toshiba and Microsoft may stay with HD DVD, then there it is. That would help all those customers that bought HD DVD players.
We've already heard reliable news that MS is actually working on a Blu-ray add-on for the 360. A good way to compete against the PS3. And likely Toshiba will release a combo player by Christmas if not early 09. HD DVD is history. The money is where the blu is.
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
We've already heard reliable news that MS is actually working on a Blu-ray add-on for the 360. A good way to compete against the PS3. And likely Toshiba will release a combo player by Christmas if not early 09. HD DVD is history. The money is where the blu is.
Maybe MS was smart not to make the drive integrated into the XBox, I had thought it was silly, but in the face of an unknown format winner, the external drive suddenly seems genius!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #303
BDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

The 360 doesn't need a Blu-ray drive to compete against the PS3. It already has a larger install base and with shortages last month still was barely eeked out in sales by the super marketed PS3 in NA.

Software sells "game" consoles and the PS3 is still very weak in that department. Just go visit any retailer and look at the one cabinet of PS3 games vesus what you see for the 360.

Also rumor has it that the Blu-ray drive isn't up to speed for gaming. Case in point intalls to HD's on games such as Lost Planet and DMC4. Pretty sweet stuff for 20gb owners who lose 10gb of space to play games marginally faster on load times versus the 360.
BDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
The 3 key just happens to be next to the 2 key, I'm not a great typer & spell check doesn't pick up when I hit the wrong number!
Oh & by the way, March of 2006 to Feb of 2008 isn't 21 months, for crying out loud, that's 2nd grade math!!
If you are going to slam my typing error as bad math you should probably double check your own math!
HDDVD did not launch in Mar. 2006 it was in April 18 2006. http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060317-6405.html
Granted I did not count Febuary of 2008 after the Warner, Netflix, Best Buy, Walmart and now announcements have severly crushed sales and these players will be returned. You know as well as I do any player purchased by a new HDM owner from mid January on was or will be quickly returned after hearing the Netflix, Best Buy, Walmart or Toshiba news that has hit every major news page on the internet. Talking CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, not avsforum.com. You know the same news organizations that predicted that bluray would win after the Warner announcement. So I feel fully justified in my statement about 21 months.

Kind off the same reasoning why BB does not give you points on your BB reward zone membership until after 30 days of the purchase in case the item is returned.

Last edited by PRO-630HD; 02-20-2008 at 09:21 AM..
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
HDDVD did not launch in Mar. 2006 it was in April 18 2006. http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060317-6405.html
I figured the launch by the first release of a hd-dvd player, that was March 31st, 2006 in Japan according to Wikipedia.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #306

Default Firesales begin

From Engadget

So it begins: Toshiba's HD-A3 falls to $99 at Circuit City, comes with 7 free HD DVDs

It's not like there has been any shortage of deals on HD DVD hardware over the past few months or anything, but now that Toshiba (and almost everyone else on the planet) has officially yanked support for the format, prices are beginning to plummet en masse. First on the docket is the HD-A3 at Circuit City, which now sits at just $99.99 and comes with seven free titles, two of which are 300 and Bourne Identity. So yeah, if you've been waiting for this moment to snap up the failed format for cheap, hop on in -- but if we were betting souls, we'd say holding out just a wee bit longer would actually be in your wallet's best interest.

If your already invested in hd-dvd there will be some killer deals out there for a back up player & soon the software will be dirt cheap.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
boulet, david, don, dondvd, dvd, gay, hd, tl