Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 02-18-2008   #271

Default Re: HD DVD about to fight back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
Bummer, sad but true...

I wonder if Toshiba will take my HD-A20 in a part payment on a Toshiba BluRay player? ;-)

------

You make an excellent point.

Toshiba has a LOT of people who voted for them now looking foolish. They should take it on the chin and offer some sort of incentive to people who were loyal to them to make things right going forward. Toshiba doesn't want people thinking "I'll buy the Sony or Vizio before I let Toshiba screw me again"
Old 02-18-2008   #272

Jerry what were the plans Toshiba and Microsoft were referring to? It is not going to happen so I don't see the harm in telling what you heard.
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
Jerry what were the plans Toshiba and Microsoft were referring to? It is not going to happen so I don't see the harm in telling what you heard.
My sources would disagree with you...

Let's put it this way: I have SOLID evidence in my hands that showed MS and Toshiba was going to fight back after Blu-Friday. VERY SOLID proof.

Ultimately, it didn't materialize. In fact Toshiba backed off quite hard. I bet Sony never thought it was going to be that easy.

In the end - it would have better for Toshiba to have found a way to do a deal with MS. Internal forces allegedly made that harder to do than you and I might have thought...

j
Old 02-18-2008   #274

From Engadget

Toshiba expected to announce death of HD DVD tomorrow, stop sales by March

Posted Feb 18th 2008 2:01PM by Ryan Block
Filed under: HDTV, Home Entertainment
Despite Red's inability to make any real public statement, Japanese publication Nikkei has it that Toshiba president Atsutoshi Nishida will be announcing the final discontinuation of HD DVD tomorrow, as well as halted sales of hardware and media by March (as in days from now). Apparently Toshiba will pull its units from retail shelves, but has no intention to give burned early adopters any refunds (no kidding?); it sounds like the ceasefire will include the bare PC drives as well, so those hoping to keep using HD DVD as a personal data storage medium probably won't have much luck. Apparently the announcement will come alongside Toshiba's plans to build new semiconductor fabs, which we're sure they'll try to spin as an advancement that far overshadows the hill of beans (read: hundreds of millions) they've lost in the format war.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #275

Horrible that there is no thought at all, to help these people out. And we all want to cheer about Blu-Ray winning. How much damage has been done again, to the mainstream consumer who was already skeptical in the first place.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Horrible that there is no thought at all, to help these people out. And we all want to cheer about Blu-Ray winning. How much damage has been done again, to the mainstream consumer who was already skeptical in the first place.
How many "mainstream consumers" do you think bought into HDM during the war?
I'm betting most of them were sucked in by the $99 sale at Wal-Mart.
Anyone that bought into either side should have known that were taking a chance on getting a format that would eventually made obsolete.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
boulet, david, don, dondvd, dvd, gay, hd, tl