Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 02-16-2008   #259

Default Re: HD DVD about to fight back...

Great news ... hopefully now all those that have been holding back on buying an HD format will go out and buy a Blu-ray player. The more that rent/buy Blu-ray movies the better ... the more movies that will come out on Blu-ray.

Sony is now 1 and 1 ... lost with Beta, but won with Blu-ray!

Last edited by HiDefBob; 02-16-2008 at 02:09 PM..
HiDefBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofgrills View Post
I really wish people would stop holding up digital downloads as the eventual solution for the format wars. Paying $1 to download a single music track is one thing, but downloading a 1080p HD movie with 7.1 lossless surround sound is entirely different. I've invested thousands in my custom built home theater room, and I am not going to settle with holding a EULA (End User License Agreement) in order to lease a movie to watch on my system. I collect movies and music on disc, and I have no intention on stopping this practice.
The overall sonic quality of music has been dumbed down by downloading, MP3s and Ipods. SACD and DVD-Audio failed due to the ongoing format fight and overall consumer confusion, and I don't want that to happen to the successor for DVDs. We need an HD format to succeed quickly, and Blu-ray is right there.

I just want the complete transition to Blu-ray to be quick, so we can all get back to enjoying the HD movie experience without worrying about the format.

Here, Here !!!!
I agree whole heartedly. I collect movies that I love and want to be able to watch them whenever I want. I also want the best possible resolution and sound. Downloads just don't have the quality and won't untill we all have very fat fiber pipes running to our houses. At the current point in time the internet would grind to a halt if everyone was downloading High def films at full resolution without compression and with full 7.1 soundtracks, and what about the extras that you get on the disks.
CliffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #261

Quote:
I really wish people would stop holding up digital downloads as the eventual solution for the format wars. Paying $1 to download a single music track is one thing, but downloading a 1080p HD movie with 7.1 lossless surround sound is entirely different. I've invested thousands in my custom built home theater room, and I am not going to settle with holding a EULA (End User License Agreement) in order to lease a movie to watch on my system. I collect movies and music on disc, and I have no intention on stopping this practice.
The overall sonic quality of music has been dumbed down by downloading, MP3s and Ipods. SACD and DVD-Audio failed due to the ongoing format fight and overall consumer confusion, and I don't want that to happen to the successor for DVDs. We need an HD format to succeed quickly, and Blu-ray is right there.

I just want the complete transition to Blu-ray to be quick, so we can all get back to enjoying the HD movie experience without worrying about the format.
Finally someone here that "gets it".
I wish some of the forum leaders here thought more like you.
bootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #262

Quote:

It's not quite that simple - the studios hold the power now. When you see music recording studios taking grandma's to court and winning!!!? It's about to get hectic. Studios constantly remind us that we do not "own" any content. Eventually this "war" will get us used to HD content (hey, I was hooked on WMV-HD at 1080P). The next move is to control the distribution of said content. Blu-ray has the best protection scheme (that's why we HTPC'rs have to update AnyDVD HD so much), but its not perfect. The next level of protection will come in the form of downloads - and what will we do when the delivery method is available and the Studios say its cheaper and more effective? We will all get in line and adapt - thats just the way we are. It's coming - I don't know how soon, but I believe its sooner than we think. By the way - at my job belive it or not - we have 100 gbit output - what do you need for "Full HD" - 50mb? Verizon is already there in some areas.

P.S. I remember how fast my DCC, MiniDisc, and Dat died - As I've told people on other forums - the word for 2008 is convergence. Even Comptia has merged with Cedia to form a new certification, and it's all about PC/HT/Automation convergence. I'm going to get mine to go along with my A+ - So I can be in on the ground floor. Its kinda like Google - its going to get big quick!

Last edited by prerich; 02-16-2008 at 09:27 PM..
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #263

whatever happened to Lotus and his rumor that MS was going to buy stock to sway a studio to go HD DVD???
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
The fight is coming. I saw somethings today that I am sworn NOT to speak about that says they are NOT going down lightly.

Toshiba and Microsoft have TOO MUCH riding on this. THEY MUST prove to the studios they are for real.

If they do - perhaps they cut out their own niche? I know a lot of people don't want that but look at the video game world and the success THREE format have.
Hi guys,
Huge thread, so I wasn't able to track down the actual "HD DVD fight back" strategy by Toshiba/Microsoft. What happened on this front? Given that lastest news that Toshiba is giving up HD-DVD, I guess (what ever the strategy was) it didn't work?
Cheers.
usul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
boulet, david, don, dondvd, dvd, gay, hd, tl