Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 02-15-2008   #241

Default Re: HD DVD about to fight back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
Where did you get the idea that the availability of downloading negates the availability of disc-based software?

We've been downloading music for years. We can still buy CDs and CD players.

Problem?
I haven't bought a CD in about 4 years. All of my music is digitally delivered (downloads or Sirius) and once I get an ipod controller for my wife's car, there will be no need to even burn CD's any more.

So yes there is a problem. Once someone makes it easy enough to get me a digital copy of a movie with good quality, my DVD buying will stop. I knew this going into all of this and went with the in between technology that I felt had the best value.
kkozma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #242
BDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkozma View Post
I haven't bought a CD in about 4 years. All of my music is digitally delivered (downloads or Sirius) and once I get an ipod controller for my wife's car, there will be no need to even burn CD's any more.

So yes there is a problem. Once someone makes it easy enough to get me a digital copy of a movie with good quality, my DVD buying will stop. I knew this going into all of this and went with the in between technology that I felt had the best value.
+1

I can't remember the last time I bought a CD. Along those lines I see movies making the same jump. It's not a hard idea to grasp. I'm not sure why the blu's can't see that the possibility of downloads being a viable market.
BDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP View Post
+1

I'm not sure why the blu's can't see that the possibility of downloads being a viable market.
I not sure why you HD DVD backers that bought that technology and sang it's praises way past it's demise ALL OF A SUDDEN think HDM is a thing of the past, it's like you've all been brainwashed.
Maybe they pulled a Tyler Durden on you guys and replaced a frame here and there that said if HD DVD does not survive go download.

Last edited by akbungle; 02-17-2008 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: spelling error
akbungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #244
BDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbungle View Post
I not sure why you HD DVD backers that bought that technology and sang it's praises way past it's demise ALL OF A SUDDEN think HDM is a thing of the past, it's like you've all been brainwashed.
Maybe they pulled a Tyler Durden on you guys and replaced a frame here and their that said if HD DVD does not survive go download.
I think your missing the point. I can't speak for other's but I just didn't have this hairball scheme to support downloads now that HD DVD has come to its demise. I knew downloads were coming and IMO were going to be more viable moving forward for me. I have an Xbox 360 Elite which you probably know Xbox Live has been downloading movies for awhile now. I have Netflix where I can watch movies via my PC.

So..

Brainwash/Microsoft/Sore Loser etc etc. doesn't really fit the bill. You might want to try that on someone who it actually pertains to. There are plenty of them on highdefdigest.
BDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #245

like it or not[im not likely it] everybody in this industry is hopping on the blu-ray band wagon.toshbia and ms can do what they want ,bd is what the industry wants to win.
usless you can rally the troops around hd dvd ...forget it.

if you remember back in 1968 people rallyed around paramount to try to get startrek another season,come to find out later roddenberry was behind the whole thing.
people helped but the power roddenberry had at the time really gave trek one more season.

the point is the industry is the true power here they started this war and they will finish it
we are a very small part of the pie.

at this point hd dvd and ms should just cut there losses and hang it up.
this war has gone on long enough.

just to be clear if hd dvd was winning this thing id say the same thing to the bda ...end this now.
tvine2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefBob View Post
I recently saw a CA$250,000 Home Theatre system that featured the Runco VX-22D Cinewide 3 chip projector with autoscope (no black bars) and Stewart Filmscreen CINE-W (curved cinemascope). The 7.2 surround sound system featured a Classé SSP-600 processor, CAV-5200 and monoblocks, with B&W 800 Diamond front speakers. For anyone with the money, the entire system was custom installed with soundproofing, theatre chairs, etc.

The picture was absolutely breathtaking … certainly far superior to any commercial theatre I have seen … superior to HDNet’s excellent PQ. The stunning clarity and colour depth made the picture appear to be 3D. The detail in the shadows was remarkable. If I could afford such a system I would never again watch a movie in a commercial theatre.

The point of all this is that, amazingly, the video was supplied by a CA$400 Samsung Blu-ray player! That player is what made the system really sing to its maximum potential! While regular DVD looked very good on this system, Blu-ray made regular DVD look like VHS in comparison!

Where is the bandwidth necessary to achieve this quality by digital downloads? How many hours would it take to download a movie? I think players and discs will be here for a long time yet for those of us that want the very best PQ.

As for the newer players with all the latest advanced features … I could care less ... the only thing that is important is the picture and sound quality.
yeh these guys that talk about downloads are about 10 to 15 years off,i belive if this whole download thing was up and ready ms and others would have skipped the hd dvd blu-ray disc thing. if there ready and theres money to be made fast hdm downloads would be a realitly now.

hey if they want to wait 10 to 15 years go head ,meanwhile im enjoying hdm now
tvine2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
boulet, david, don, dondvd, dvd, gay, hd, tl