Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 02-14-2008   #235

Default Re: HD DVD about to fight back...

Hey Jerry is this what you were hinting to?
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...d0bfb0c25aa58d

Though It says it in the headline I will mention this is from sources and not directly from Toshiba.

Last edited by akbungle; 02-14-2008 at 07:07 PM..
akbungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #236

They are damned fools to at least not make combo players from here on out. To totally drop support of the format would be a real slap in the face to consumers and cost them dearly in future sales. If they make any bluray player it should be a combo at a minimum.

Last edited by PRO-630HD; 02-14-2008 at 08:24 PM..
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
They are damned fools to at least not make combo players from here on out. To totally drop support of the format would be a real slap in the face to consumers and cost them dearly in future sales. If they make any bluray player it should be a combo at a minimum.
That would make sense & show some appreciation to those that supported hd-dvd by making sure there will be players in the future.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #238

This from the Minneapolis Business Journal ...

Best Buy Co. Inc. said Monday that it will begin to prominently showcase Sony Corp.'s Blu-ray high-definition DVD players and discs in its stores and on its Web site starting in early March.

http://milwaukee.bizjournals.com/twi...11/daily8.html

Personally, I think the war is now over ... HD DVD will gradually start to disappear.
Old 02-14-2008   #239

Quote:
Why should I buy a $500 machine only to turn around with it being useless in 1-2 years to buy another one WHEN downloads take off? This is a valid reason, that many of the blu-ray zealots just can't get a grasp of. There is NO stopping digital downloads.
Where did you get the idea that the availability of downloading negates the availability of disc-based software?

We've been downloading music for years. We can still buy CDs and CD players.

Problem?
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #240

I recently saw a CA$250,000 Home Theatre system that featured the Runco VX-22D Cinewide 3 chip projector with autoscope (no black bars) and Stewart Filmscreen CINE-W (curved cinemascope). The 7.2 surround sound system featured a Classé SSP-600 processor, CAV-5200 and monoblocks, with B&W 800 Diamond front speakers. For anyone with the money, the entire system was custom installed with soundproofing, theatre chairs, etc.

The picture was absolutely breathtaking … certainly far superior to any commercial theatre I have seen … superior to HDNet’s excellent PQ. The stunning clarity and colour depth made the picture appear to be 3D. The detail in the shadows was remarkable. If I could afford such a system I would never again watch a movie in a commercial theatre.

The point of all this is that, amazingly, the video was supplied by a CA$400 Samsung Blu-ray player! That player is what made the system really sing to its maximum potential! While regular DVD looked very good on this system, Blu-ray made regular DVD look like VHS in comparison!

Where is the bandwidth necessary to achieve this quality by digital downloads? How many hours would it take to download a movie? I think players and discs will be here for a long time yet for those of us that want the very best PQ.

As for the newer players with all the latest advanced features … I could care less ... the only thing that is important is the picture and sound quality.

Last edited by HiDefBob; 02-14-2008 at 11:27 PM..
HiDefBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
boulet, david, don, dondvd, dvd, gay, hd, tl