Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 02-11-2008   #187

Default Re: HD DVD about to fight back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP View Post
Toshiba doesn't have weeks to make a decision that's the problem.

They have had 5 weeks since the WB annoucement and effectively done nothing to turn the tides.
5 weeks after Warner’s announcement, they’ve had massive hardware price cuts, a bunch of software sales, a Super Bowl ad and they’ve gained a bit of market share back every week. That’s doing nothing?

I guess the ultimate question is: have they been negotiating with studios this time and are they close to a deal?

Last edited by 1more4HDDVD; 02-11-2008 at 11:32 AM..
1more4HDDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #188
BDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1more4HDDVD View Post
5 weeks after Warner’s announcement, they’ve had massive hardware price cuts, a bunch of software sales, a Super Bowl ad and they’ve gained a bit of market share back every week. That’s doing nothing?

Don't get me wrong I wanted HD DVD to win, I own two players.

but...

The super bowl commercial which wasn't even shown in my area was the same one that's been on for months. It was lackluster at best. I even told my friend who supports HD DVD if they show the same ad they have been showing I'm going to stop supporting the format. Guess what they did and here I'am the skeptic.

As far as the price cuts go and BOGO's HD DVD didn't have anywhere to go but up. Let's see where things are when they are over with.

Trust me I strongly supported the HD DVD format because I liked the price point and the features. However, to me Toshiba dropped the ball on this one.

Last edited by BDP; 02-11-2008 at 01:15 PM..
BDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1more4HDDVD View Post

I guess the ultimate question is: have they been negotiating with studios this time and are they close to a deal?
I'm probably about the biggest HD DVD cheerleader there is without sounding like a delusional moron. lol

However... LOOK at that damned list up there...

SIXTEEN events leaving out all of the studio announcements that are associated with warner (only counting once)... SIXTEEN

What do we get?

1. An announcement from Tosh/Uni/Para that they were still supporting HD DVD
2. Cheap players
3. A craptastic superbowl ad that I along with MILLIONS of other viewers didn't see
4. Hmmm.. I got nothing else.

SIXTEEN.

Toshiba has had MORE than enough time in these 5 weeks to come up with something. The REALLY sad thing here is now that Blu-ray has won (yes, you heard me say it here first) that all this has done is delay mass adoption of HDM for at LEAST a solid 1 to 2 years... Probably even longer for me as I will not buy anything less than what my HD A2 can do right now for any more than I paid for my HD A2 ($200).

The current crop of BD SAL's are pure junk right now with the exception of *MAYBE* the Panny BD30, but I flat refuse to purchase that thing for $500 now knowing full well the BD50 is on the horizon. Even then we all know FULL good and well that the chances of that thing being less than $500 is less than HD DVD's chance of winning this thing right now. And before anyone says it, I will not buy a PS3 as my primary movie player.

As for the studio question. My guess is 100% NO. Hollywood is a big place full of gossipers out the whazoo. *IF* something like that was going on we would have heard about it by now from more than one source.
kkozma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #190
BDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkozma View Post
As for the studio question. My guess is 100% NO. Hollywood is a big place full of gossipers out the whazoo. *IF* something like that was going on we would have heard about it by now from more than one source.

Agreed. I'm guessing buying a studio isn't like walking into a supermarket and buying a bag of chips. I'm guessing there is a lot of time involved, which Toshiba doesn't have.
Old 02-11-2008   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkozma View Post
What do we get?

1. An announcement from Tosh/Uni/Para that they were still supporting HD DVD
2. Cheap players
3. A craptastic superbowl ad that I along with MILLIONS of other viewers didn't see
4. Hmmm.. I got nothing else.

SIXTEEN.

Toshiba has had MORE than enough time in these 5 weeks to come up with something. The REALLY sad thing here is now that Blu-ray has won (yes, you heard me say it here first) that all this has done is delay mass adoption of HDM for at LEAST a solid 1 to 2 years... Probably even longer for me as I will not buy anything less than what my HD A2 can do right now for any more than I paid for my HD A2 ($200).
Many insiders have hinted at some major things Toshiba has been working on behind the scenes. Heck, the very topic of this thread is “HD DVD about to fight back...” were Jerry eludes to some big things he’s seen from the HD DVD side. I have no idea why these things have not come to light yet, but obviously there are reasons why they haven’t been made public yet.

IMO, there is nothing wrong or delusional about waiting a few weeks to see what happens. If Universal or Paramount go, it’s over.. If these big things are announce by the HD DVD side, then we’ll see…
1more4HDDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #192
BDP

Well they better come hard with this so called plan to fight.

because...

Best Buy just went Blu-Ray exclusive.

http://www.streetinsider.com/Press+R...e/3345206.html
Sponsored Links

Tags
boulet, david, don, dondvd, dvd, gay, hd, tl