Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 02-06-2008   #121

Default Re: HD DVD about to fight back...

White papers are not proven by science, they are proven by working prototypes. Things can work on paper and have science behind them but still have problems that the designer did not account for. If companies assumed that theirs designs would work and did not test them before putting them into mass production then they likely have a lot of faulty products on their hands.

I donít give credence to rumors, esp. about technology, until they are substantiated as fact by supporting documentation (i.e. press releases), regardless of the person, company, or organization that is repeating the rumor to me.

Lotus, you were the one who asserted that something was a fact. If you want people to accept it as a fact then YOU need to back it up with a credible source to show its validity.
Ken2413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken2413 View Post
Lotus, you were the one who asserted that something was a fact. If you want people to accept it as a fact then YOU need to back it up with a credible source to show its validity.
Ken since you haven't been here long let me give you the timeline:

1. I post that the DVD Forum has approved TL51s and we may see announcements of titles at CES. This was later confirmed (the first part) by the press.

2. DaViD Boulet posts that TL51s are incompatible with current players. He posts a link to Bill Hunt's website where a blogger (bill hunt) says he heard from someone at Toshiba that they "may not," work with current players.

Since then DaViD has been routinely trying to keep this stance. Since then someone from Toshiba has said that they will work. A new outlet has reported it as well as someone getting an email from Toshiba tech support about it. DaViD continues to go on and on about them not working.

As for you allusion that Commercial White Papers aren't credible I don't know what to say about that. It goes against the difinition of a commercial white paper!
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #123
BDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken2413 View Post
White papers are not proven by science, they are proven by working prototypes. Things can work on paper and have science behind them but still have problems that the designer did not account for. If companies assumed that theirs designs would work and did not test them before putting them into mass production then they likely have a lot of faulty products on their hands.

I donít give credence to rumors, esp. about technology, until they are substantiated as fact by supporting documentation (i.e. press releases), regardless of the person, company, or organization that is repeating the rumor to me.

I use white papers almost daily for what I do and you are the first to discredit them in such a manner.

Ken have you heard of a gaming console called the Xbox 360? I'm sure it was released to work. How about the average automobile...why do they have warranties? How many times a year to we get recalls for them. Companies release things everyday that in turn don't end up working and our faulty. I'd imagine they had press releases for them as well.

Mazda overestimated the horsepower on the Miata one year and another year overestimated the horsepower on the RX8. They had documented numbers in their brochures until people who took to them dyno said they were wrong.

Press releases aren't always fact either. Nor are written documented numbers from manufacturers.

I know for a fact I get screwed every time I have a fruit cocktail and the outside of the can says 2-6% cherries and there is only one damn cherry in the can.

Can we drop the TL51 debate? Yourself and David think press releases are fact and others are happy with the information that is out there to think otherwise.

Neither one discredits the other.
BDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP View Post
Can we drop the TL51 debate? Yourself and David think press releases are fact and others are happy with the information that is out there to think otherwise.
My wife says this is the same type of behavior the game consoles get online and we should fight it the same way they do. So here goes:

*** The Following is an example of what DaViD is doing with TL51 and is not true ***

Blu-Ray 2.0 players are incompatible with all current BD software and won't play the movies. In addition they won't work on non HDMI 1.3 TVs at all!

*** Repeat the above is not true at all, but it's the same logic as DaViD is using ***

Under Ken and DaViD's use of logic that will remain true on these boards until someone from mainstream media reports otherwise. Press Releases, etc. will not count! To further justify it, I could even have a friend post it on his blog that he heard "from someone at Sony," that "BD 2.0 Players may not be able to play older BD titles or work on TVs without HDMI 1.3."

Then we'd be doing the exact same thing they are with TL51s.

Last edited by Lotus; 02-06-2008 at 09:56 PM..
Old 02-06-2008   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
He's basically saying that New Line is "dead," and that they're seriously looking into merging New Line and WB.

However some could see it as a "New Line," is for sale. All New Line has going for it is "The Hobbit," but that alone would push New Line's costs to nearly $8B to purchase (if they were willing to sell).
In reality another film studio could buy New Line as they do have an impressive back catalog. Look at what happened a few years ago with MGM also then owned by Warner. Being bought by Sony and then shifting to Fox. Warner must really be hurting for money now which explains why they took the 500 million dollar pay off.
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbungle View Post
Lotus I would like you to delete the post I have quoted some of here, like my earlier post to David it is better to show respect even when being pushed. The flat out lie you wrote as "a joke/example" could be looked at by a casual reader and taken as truth.
I will delete this post after you have deleted yours. Thanks (it will be in the morning for me as I am off to bed )
I edited it. The example is extremely valid in this case and you see the "harm," it could possibly start if we all started using their "it's a fact until someone in mainstream media says otherwise," philosophy. I'm showing respect to them too because I'm not doing what I'm implying. I'm just showing how bad it really is.

Also how do you know it's a flat out lie? Can you prove it with a link?
Sponsored Links

Tags
boulet, david, don, dondvd, dvd, gay, hd, tl