Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 02-04-2008   #97
BDP

Default Re: HD DVD about to fight back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbungle View Post
Yeah the commercial was on MN DirectTV in HD but my local Comcast only broadcast it in SD. That would p*ss me off to no end if I were Toshiba. The commercial itself wasn't, in my opinion, very impactful or clever but in SD it actually sucked.(I mean being next to the funny cool HD commercials.
I agree the commerical is pretty lackluster and I can only imagine what it looked like in SD. I've seen it many times on MOJO and HD Net and was hoping they would do something different.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the commercials were target specfic in the first place. Why advertise in areas that are doing well with sales? I'd hate to think FOX pulled a fast one on Toshiba.
BDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
The fight is coming. I saw somethings today that I am sworn NOT to speak about that says they are NOT going down lightly.

Toshiba and Microsoft have TOO MUCH riding on this. THEY MUST prove to the studios they are for real.

If they do - perhaps they cut out their own niche? I know a lot of people don't want that but look at the video game world and the success THREE format have.

Lets get this 100% back on topic here. Is there any time frame as to when Toshiba actually plans to get their thumbs out of their asses and actually do something here? The blu-ray fud machine is in FULL effect, so it would behove Toshiba to do something NOW rather than later.

My patience with them is starting to wear VERY thin. I want to continue to support the format, but they are doing slightly more than absolutely nothing to support me.
kkozma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
When Toshiba makes an official statement or a third-party is able to verify interoperability with TL software on existing hardware let us all know.
They have and one of the BD owners has verified that he has read the same thing.

It's my fault I can't remember where I read it, but I have. Your behavior about this is disgusting by the way. Your need to promote fear in people's belief in their product is absolutely disgusting.

TL51s were designed to be played in HD DVD players. What you're implying doesn't even make sense. It has no merits in technology it is just pure paranoia that for some reason you feel the need to spread.

It seems to me if something isn't going to work on something and it has never been even talked about by the manufacturer then it should be the responsibility of you to prove your claim. I know you believe it because Bill Hunt is your buddy, but it's just not true and never has been. It makes no "common," sense and it makes no "technical," sense. If you understood how these players worked you'd understand.

There is no reason a HD DVD player or BD player can't read multiple layers: They are designed for it. Software/firmware updates could make them read 8 layer discs if they wanted.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkozma View Post
Lets get this 100% back on topic here. Is there any time frame as to when Toshiba actually plans to get their thumbs out of their asses and actually do something here? The blu-ray fud machine is in FULL effect, so it would behove Toshiba to do something NOW rather than later.

My patience with them is starting to wear VERY thin. I want to continue to support the format, but they are doing slightly more than absolutely nothing to support me.
Sorry, but I completely disagree.

It has been one month since the WB announcement and about three weeks since the HD DVD side reemerged and vowed to fight. Toshiba has dramatically cut prices. They have advertised on American Idol and the Super Bowl. Most importantly, they have kept their remaining studio and retail support in the US. They have successfully bought some time while they work on some major things.

The very topic of this thread is that Jerry saw some big things and his conclusion is that the HD DVD side is “NOT going down lightly.” Robert over at AVS, who has very close contacts within the HD DVD PR Group, hinted at some major things, including high-profile studio releases and additional support.

So, there is plenty of buzz surrounding future HD DVD developments. They know time is not on their side, if they are able to make some of these things happen, we should start seeing them soon.
1more4HDDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1more4HDDVD View Post
Sorry, but I completely disagree.

It has been one month since the WB announcement and about three weeks since the HD DVD side reemerged and vowed to fight. Toshiba has dramatically cut prices. They have advertised on American Idol and the Super Bowl. Most importantly, they have kept their remaining studio and retail support in the US. They have successfully bought some time while they work on some major things.

The very topic of this thread is that Jerry saw some big things and his conclusion is that the HD DVD side is “NOT going down lightly.” Robert over at AVS, who has very close contacts within the HD DVD PR Group, hinted at some major things, including high-profile studio releases and additional support.

So, there is plenty of buzz surrounding future HD DVD developments. They know time is not on their side, if they are able to make some of these things happen, we should start seeing them soon.

In case you haven't noticed, a LOT of bad stuff has been announced in the last 10 days that puts a SERIOUS dent in HD DVD's ability to get software into the hands of people like me who wish to buy it. I also do not share your enthusiasm about any HD DVD buzz because frankly, there is none outside of the ever shrinking circle of people who support this format. There was no superbowl ad in my area, and there was ONE commercial for HD DVD on American Idol three weeks ago. I have seen nothing since, and I watch (embarassed to admit) idol every week religiously.

- Sonic dropped HD DVD support
- TDK says they will no longer manufacture blank HD DVD media
- THREE foreign movie distributors have announced plans to drop HD DVD support
- National Geographic dropped HD DVD
- Woolworths in the UK has dropped HD DVD
- FYE has annouced that they will DRASTICLY reduce shelf space for HD DVD

As for Robert Zohn. Not an insider. Has been wrong on nearly everything he has posted as inside information. Where was the major CE who was supposed to start manufacturing HD DVD players? Where was the BIG news that was to come out of CEDIA? Nothing he has said has come to fruition.

Toshiba has less that ZERO time to screw around here. The longer they are silent, the longer the Blu-ray FUD machine has to work on it's negative campaigns. I'm tired of the wait and see attitude with HD DVD because THERE IS NO TIME TO WAIT any longer. I am an adamant HD DVD supporter and even I am starting to believe that there is nearly nothing HD DVD can do at this point. With every single second that passes by without some kind of SOMETHING from Toshiba, Paramount, or Univerasal, this format race slips further and further out of the thier hands.

Lastly, the blu-ray insiders over on blu-ray.com ARE hiding something. They know there is something big coming and are not talking about it. Anytime anyone mentions anything about whatever this big event is, the questions get deleted or the insiders respond with "no comment" or "its best not to talk about that".

Last edited by kkozma; 02-04-2008 at 07:33 PM..
kkozma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkozma View Post
....., and I watch (embarassed to admit) idol every week religiously.

Where was the major CE who was supposed to start manufacturing HD DVD players? Where was the BIG news that was to come out of CEDIA?
1) I know it's off topic but I thought it was so sweet when that Asian fellow in the silver costume sang that song for Simon, I know it was odd but he was so sincere and right it is Simon that has the real say/pull on the show.

2) I think this is what happened:
http://blog.homecinemachoice.com/pag...ing_to_abandon

Tags
boulet, david, don, dondvd, dvd, gay, hd, tl