Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 02-03-2008   #91

Default Re: HD DVD about to fight back...

Well HD-DVD didn't fight back with the rumored Super Bowl ad.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
I saw the advert paid for by HD-DVD PRG. It was for the movie "American Gangster."

The ad campaign that points out the bad things about BD (in their opinion) starts very soon from what I've heard.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbungle View Post
This is NOT what I would call real conformation by any stretch (and I thought it was disturbing how excited people got in that thread from the response of a low level Toshiba CSR), but like I said in my last post and I assume what Lotus was refering to was a mention in a press release months ago.
This came from the technical support section of Toshiba. At cedia a contact of mine stated that the TL-51 would work in 1st gen players. Due to the fact Toshiba has made every feature available on backward compatible on all players I can not imagine anything would change. In hddvd's current state it would be foolish for them to release a TL-51 and require a 4th gen player to decode it. That statement is as real as real gets and I have no doubt my XA2 will play the 51gb hddvd's with a firmware upgrade.
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #94
BDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
From what I heard the commercial only was shown in certain areas. Regardless though it was the same one that has been playing anyways, revolving around a football game in HD and then focusing on what to watch when it's over.

There was no commercial in my area of Ohio.
BDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP View Post
From what I heard the commercial only was shown in certain areas. Regardless though it was the same one that has been playing anyways, revolving around a football game in HD and then focusing on what to watch when it's over.

There was no commercial in my area of Ohio.
Yeah the commercial was on MN DirectTV in HD but my local Comcast only broadcast it in SD. That would p*ss me off to no end if I were Toshiba. The commercial itself wasn't, in my opinion, very impactful or clever but in SD it actually sucked.(I mean being next to the funny cool HD commercials.

Last edited by akbungle; 02-04-2008 at 08:47 AM..
akbungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #96

Quote:
This came from the technical support section of Toshiba. At cedia a contact of mine stated that the TL-51 would work in 1st gen players. Due to the fact Toshiba has made every feature available on backward compatible on all players I can not imagine anything would change. In hddvd's current state it would be foolish for them to release a TL-51 and require a 4th gen player to decode it. That statement is as real as real gets and I have no doubt my XA2 will play the 51gb hddvd's with a firmware upgrade.
Naturally it would be in everyone's interest if TL 51GB discs could ultimately play in existing hardware.

However, a private conversation between you and someone at CES, or someone posting snippets of an unverifiable email in a forum thread are not *documented* confirmation. They may satisify your own need for confirmation (certainly a direct conversation with a trusted source), but they aren't documented or verified for a larger audience.

When Toshiba makes an official statement or a third-party is able to verify interoperability with TL software on existing hardware let us all know.
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
boulet, david, don, dondvd, dvd, gay, hd, tl