Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 02-03-2008   #85

Default Re: HD DVD about to fight back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
If it's commercially viable and ready for prime-time, why can't they do it? Why do you need another "studio" for TL51 to be demonstrated to work?
They need another Studio to survive not for TL51s to be released. Paramount and Universal both chose some pretty big titles to use for TL51s. I believe the reason for the delay is that they were originally planned for the summer when they were hoping HD DVD would be closer to 2.5M players.

With WB jumping ship player sales have slowed and barely recovered with the new $150 and $199 units.

I think the biggest delay is the titles they planned on releasing in the summer using the technology are still "planned for Summer." The problem with announcing them is Universal and thus Paramount are waiting for Toshiba to "come through," and save HD-DVD.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #86

Quote:
Can you provide a link that documents this?
I read an article that quoted a Toshiba VP who stated that it worked with a firmware update on the A2 and XA2. I can't remember where I read it, it was a link sent by someone to me. So there is an article out there with the statement. Technically knowing the design of the units and how they work there is no reason that either BD or HD-DVD couldn't get firmware updates to allow triple layer or quadruple layer reading.

Remember when there were uneducated internet posters implying that BD50 wouldn't work in players?
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
They need another Studio to survive not for TL51s to be released. Paramount and Universal both chose some pretty big titles to use for TL51s. I believe the reason for the delay is that they were originally planned for the summer when they were hoping HD DVD would be closer to 2.5M players.

With WB jumping ship player sales have slowed and barely recovered with the new $150 and $199 units.

I think the biggest delay is the titles they planned on releasing in the summer using the technology are still "planned for Summer." The problem with announcing them is Universal and thus Paramount are waiting for Toshiba to "come through," and save HD-DVD.
See, this is where I need to raise the flag... Toshiba can only sell so many players without content to make people realize it's a viable investment. Universal and Paramount both have some HUGE back catalog titles that are absolute MUST have movies (Back to the Future, Indy, etc etc) that would make HD DVD, THE technology to have. Pay that douchebag speilberg off and GET THOSE MOVIES ON DICS! Next up.. STAR TREK STAR TREK STAR TREK. Paramount. PAY ATTENTION. STAR TREK. Friggen Trekkies will buy this stuff hand over fist. Now, granted I'm just a lowly network engineer in podunk Ohio, but I don't see what they have to lose here. If HD DVD dies off, they get to double dip back into blu-ray, dlc, or whatever. Sounds like a win win to me. Spend the moiney on one good encode being forward thinking enough to know that you might have to re-press the movies on to a different disc structure and call it done.

As for player sales slowly recovering, today was the first day all of the big retailers had the price points reflected in thier sales ads so I expect that sales may be a bit better this week. However, here we are again with, NO deals on software. I realize that this late in the game HD DVD is on life support and they're spending all their PR dollars on staying afloat, but my god man, there's got to be some money left over for some incentive out there to buy the movies.
kkozma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I read an article that quoted a Toshiba VP who stated that it worked with a firmware update on the A2 and XA2. I can't remember where I read it, it was a link sent by someone to me. So there is an article out there with the statement.
Although I can't say weather it's true they will play, I can back you up that their was a statement to that effect from Toshiba.(and personally I don't doubt that they will indeed be playable if ever released)
Boy I really prefer this playing nicer stuff.
Old 02-03-2008   #89

Quote:
Can you provide a link that documents this?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=tl51

UPDATE and JUMPING WITH JOY: Triple Layer 51g on my A2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I requested my 51g thread be closed since it was getting off topic.

So, I got a reply from Toshiba today. I sent them an email last night.

I just want to bring HAPPINESS, JOY, and PEACE to all current HDDVD owners.

Here it is, fasten your seatbelts!!!

Quote:
Dear Ronneil:

Thanks for writing!

The Triple layer is still in the planning mode, But once they do come out yes your player will be able to play them.

For further assistance, please write back or call our Customer Solutions Department at 1-800-631-3811. They are available Mon-Fri, 8AM to 7PM Central time.

Toshiba Customer Service
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

Dear Ronneil:
Thanks for writing!

The Triple layer is still in the planning mode, But once they do come out yes your player will be able to play them.

Toshiba Customer Service
This is NOT what I would call real conformation by any stretch (and I thought it was disturbing how excited people got in that thread from the response of a low level Toshiba CSR), but like I said in my last post and I assume what Lotus was refering to was a mention in a press release months ago.

Tags
boulet, david, don, dondvd, dvd, gay, hd, tl