Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 02-01-2008   #79

Default Re: HD DVD about to fight back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkozma View Post
That's alright man, I believe you. Unlike Sony and the rest of the arrogant members of the BDA, Toshiba wouldn't release or approve something that did not work with their current hardware.
+1

Last edited by PRO-630HD; 02-01-2008 at 11:27 PM..
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1more4HDDVD View Post
B) Sony replacing the 80 GB SKU with a 120 GB one (a reaction to a new Elite SKU?)
http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ne...y/19271/?biz=1

In my opinion, this would be absolutely huge for HD DVD. Toshiba has been able to keep up in standalone sales and notebooks, but they have never had an answer to the PS3. This would mean thousands of new HD DVD owners every week and Iím sure it would perk up the ears of a few studio as well. I really hope they do it!
The question is does the PS3 go back up to $499 as it is back to the 120gb model? A $100 price jump would not surprise me after the BDP-S300 went up to $399.
Old 02-01-2008   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
For everyone else:

TL51 was approved by the DVD Forum for use. In that meeting yields, etc. were shown to the DVD Forum that it was a "marketable commodity." Studios had TL51 plans on major titles that were to be announced (without dates) at CES. We all know what happened. Paramount is going forward with one TL51 title that I know of, and Universal has a few in the works for release this summer.

David's agenda here is to try and make it look like TL51 doesn't work. It's the same BS agenda that HD DVD fanatics (like he tries to call me) used for BD50.

Why?

45GBs is considered the point with the codecs being used today for optimum picture, sound, and HD extras. So reaching a 50GB point shows that better content can be provided on a regular basis.

So the other side is always afraid of the other side reaching a solid goal like 45GBs. It's stupid behavior and extremely childish to claim it's never going to exist when you know it's in the pipeline.

Bill Hunt claims the only reason he backs BD is the Studio Support. Which was Woolworth's reason as well.

Studios continue to make our purchasing decision for us no matter what the cost to us the consumer. With a Recession on the horizon that's just bad business.
Toshiba has already confirmed the 2nd gen players will play TL-51's with a firmware upgrade. The reason it is a 51gb disc is it was easier to replicate than a TL-45 as the pitch rate is modified. This applies to SL-17's and DL-34's as well when they make it to market.

After having done a lengthy read of average bluray video and total bitrates 24 mbps AVC is about the norm. Spiderman 1,2,3 POTC 1,2,3 most all Sony reference titles are averaging this. So the need for 40 mbps is mute unless you are using MPEG-2 which is what bluray was designed for. For POTC at 32 mbps total. Take away the 6.9 mbps LPCM encode and replace it with 2.4 mbps True HD and it would fit on an hddvd. So the I need 48 mbps argument is null and void. Most bluray titles run about 32 mbps total which is 2 mbps above the max for hddvd. Take out the horribly innefficient LPCM track and replace it with 1.8 mbps True HD and you are in business.

Sources have said the TL-51 would increase the bitrate slightly as apparently all machines are capable of a 1.5x spin rate with a firmware upgrade. We will see when they come out.

On a different note hddvd combos are fairly difficult to produce. The Twin Format Disc can be produced with little modification on a existing dvd-9 line so this is excting indeed. Looking forward to seeing both.
Old 02-02-2008   #82
BDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

If it's commercially viable and ready for prime-time, why can't they do it? Why do you need another "studio" for TL51 to be demonstrated to work?

Actually, the whole TL51 HD DVD thing is very interesting. Looks good on paper. All I want to see is some actual evidence that it can be commercially replicated and play in existing hardware. Is that unreasonable?
To your other points I'm putting water under the bridge. No need to go back and forth endlessly on what's fact or fiction. I made a mistake as well as others we know this lets move on.

As to your comment "Why do you need another "studio" for TL51 to be demonstrated to work?"

That isn't what I was implying. What I was implying is I don't think "if" the TL51 disc does come out it will have any bearing on the format war. It merely will be a showcase so to speak to counter act the BD50.

I personally don't understand what the big hoopla is over the TL51, to me it's not going to effect the outcome of the war.
BDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008   #83
BDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
BDP, Kkozma:

Please treat Akbungle with the same respect you'd like to be treated with. If we can all start doing that then perhaps these "discussions," will stop looking petty. There is just no need to compare him to a 10 year old, etc.

Akbungle:

Please continue to post in this thread your opinions while differing are well appreciated and welcome here by many of us.
Agreed, and I apologize.
BDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008   #84

Quote:
Toshiba has already confirmed the 2nd gen players will play TL-51's with a firmware upgrade.
Can you provide a link that documents this?
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
boulet, david, don, dondvd, dvd, gay, hd, tl