Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 01-31-2008   #55

Default Re: HD DVD about to fight back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
HD DVD enthusiasts claimed that BD50 was vaporware even when 50GB discs were being tested and authored throughout the industry at large. Yet when not a single shred of evidence exists to support the production reality of TL 51GB replication, it's touted by the same people as reality.
Can you prove this? No. Quit generalizing people into a group it makes you look like a fanatic with an agenda vs acting reasonably. TL51 does exist and you know damn well that HD-DVD announcements at CES were cancelled.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #56

Well so much for the hddvd clearance sale at CC.

http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=5485
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
Well so much for the hddvd clearance sale at CC.
Talk about your misleading titles "Circuit City to back HD DVD..."
But yeah I mentioned that yesterday or the day before.
Old 01-31-2008   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I still think they will both be dead in five years. Sorry for being a pessimist, but once downloads and servers take off, in full 1080p with uncompressed audio, they are done. A few stalwarts like myself will keep players for both formats or universal players for the discs we own, but most people will simple download their content.

Look at the new MacBook Air, NO optical drive..... Some might think it's crazy, but it is likely the wave of the future.
The thing that's holding back download of HD content is bandwidth cost. 1080i with compressed and recompressed audio is one thing but 1080p with uncompressed audio is a different ballpark. We're talking 20GB+ downloads. Even at 15Mbps it would take over 3 hours to download. So then that leaves streaming it. Then you run into net congestion problems and having your movie stop or stutter at the most inconvenient times.

If the disc formats are going to be replaced by something it will be flash media of some sort. The only thing holding that back is cost and backward compatibility. a 30 or 50GB solid state memory storage device is going to cost a lot more than pressing a disc. You also won't be able to use it on your old DVD player and can't play your DVDs on the new player. Of course you might be able to copy your DVD to a flash stick but then you get into DRM issues that the studios will not endorse.

Once cost is not a big issue I say junk the DVDs and HD/BD media just like we did with vinyl, reel-to-reel, 8-track, VHS and cassette tapes. A non scratchable, ultra portable media is what we need and want. Thing is I bet we'd still have a format war when something like that happens. Look at Memory Stick and miniSD currently.

What we really need is a standards board like the IEEE (just as an example) to step in and take control of deciding on a media format that would be adopted world wide. Manufacturers like Sony or Toshiba could put forth design proposals but let a board consisting of 1000's of professional members decide.
MatrixDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #59

Quote:
Can you prove this? No. Quit generalizing people into a group it makes you look like a fanatic with an agenda vs acting reasonably. TL51 does exist and you know damn well that HD-DVD announcements at CES were cancelled.
I do have an agenda. It's the agenda of rational thinking.

Pro-HD DVD sentiments don't change the way that products are demonstrated to exist.

The only fanatic here is you with your constant proporting of unsubstantiated rumor of TL51GB production which you never, EVER back-up with any documented confirmation.

The onus is not on me to prove that it doesn't exist. I don't need to prove anything because I'm not the one claiming that something exists that has not been demonstrated. The onus is on you to prove that IT DOES exist. HD DVD announcements at CES were canceled but that hardly proves that TL51GB is production ready or that the announcements were even going to mention it.

Show us the documentation that proves that TL51GB is repliaction-ready?

If you provide the proper confirmation then I'll gladly concede that 51GB HD DVD is ready for production. A quick hint: telling me to contact Bill Gates isn't confirmation.

We're waiting...
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #60

Quote:
Well, except the DVD Forum, which officially approved TL51, including a “yes” vote from Disney.
That's not what we're talking about. That's a confirmation of the approved specification which everyone knows.

The "confirmation" I'm referring to is a confirmation that the disc manufacturing is ready for production and interoperability with existing players is demonstrated. What are the yields? Are the costs associated prohibitively high to make it commercially viable? Can the discs even be produced reliably and can they play in existing HD DVD hardware? NONE of these questions has been answered with real data.

Without such a confirmation, TL51GB isn't a marketable reality.

Last edited by DaViD Boulet; 02-01-2008 at 07:20 AM..
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
boulet, david, don, dondvd, dvd, gay, hd, tl