Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 02-07-2008   #31

Exclamation Re: How many DVD consumers purchase HD DVD by mistake?

[QUOTE=Vinyl Rules!;10887]Andy, I politely disagree.

As an example of what I do, for those of you who import from China, be prepared to have all your orders delayed by at least 2 to 3 weeks, possibly as long as 6 weeks. Why? Well, China is having the coldest winter they have ever experienced in over 100 years, and electricity is in short supply as about 99% of their electric plants are coal fired and the humongous snowstorms they have experienced in the last several weeks have shut down the rail transport of coal from the mines to the power plants. When the power plants start their rotating power cut-offs, plants that produce military goods will be highest on the list, then clothing manufacturers who have big contracts with companies like Wal-Mart will be next. Poor little CE companies manufacturing your products will be at the bottom of the list. And I can assure you none of your Chinese vendors have informed you of this, yet. This is why I only consult for a few, select companies who actually understand what this means and have the expertise and wherewithal to develop contingency plans. For those of you low on the totem pole, what are YOUR contingency plans? And if you have a major product rollout based on getting a new Chinese-manufactured product in your inventory chain in then next few weeks, I would advise you to bend way over and kiss your little (or big) butt goodbye.

Hey man....thanks for the heads up on this.....in fact this problem you mention in China is not limited to the CE market....the IE market is going to suffer worse...(Industrial Electronics) The CM's (Contract Manufacturers) and the Fab shops (PCB Printer Circuit Board Manufacturers) that are all involved in building products for Telecom, Medical and other products are all going to be delayed....and basically everyone who thought that ASIA was the answer because of pricing ....well now what happened to your back-up plan?
Ooops no back up plan: Nortel, ATT, Lucent, Cisco....and especially all the smaller ones. Most of them will miss their 1st and 2nd quarter shipping targets because of this....and it's not just China...all of Canada is on the brink of an evironmental challenge. Here in Montreal we have already had almost 40% more snow than a "normal" FULL winter season and yet we are only half way through the season! We will most certainly break every record for snowfall in 100 years. This global warming stuff is a big problem now....and I feel for the poor people in the southern US that have seen the worst Tornados ever!
xorbitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #32

Default Re: How many DVD consumers purchase HD DVD by mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Rules! View Post
Andy, I politely disagree.

The problem is not with the cheap, up-converting $99 players.

The problem lies in what I have written here before: There is no hi-rez DVD interest by Joe and Susie Sixpack, who buy over 90% of all DVD's. Period, end of discussion.
Actually that's just the start of the discussion!
I believe there is a lot of interest by Joe & Susie 6 pack for HDM, they are just sitting on the sidelines waiting for a winner to the war.
I predict a huge jump when there is only 1 format of HDM on store shelves.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #33

[QUOTE=DaViD Boulet;10833]

>...until my own ears can compare and hear no difference, I'm very distrusting of "experts" who'd like to tell us what we can and can't hear. We still have "experts" telling us we can't hear any improvement over red-book CD 16/44.1 though my own ears hear an astonishing improvement with 24/96...<

Absolutely! Does everyone know about the paper by Meyer & Moran which the AES officially published in their Journal last September - saying that their absurdly unscientific test proved that nobody could hear any difference between SACD, DVD-A and standard CD? I canceled my lifelong AES membership over that! You have to be an AES member to download it but if you email me I'll send out the pdf file of it. The AES says they will have a future response since so many members objected to it. Interesting that none of the major audio publications have written about it...

My vote for best sound for the two HD formats is uncompressed 5.1 PCM, though I wish they would offer 96K instead of just 48K. Then you needn't worry about proper decoding of new codecs in your player or AV preamp/receiver. (But the new LG Blu-ray/HD DVD player has no 6-channel analog out jacks - so what to do in that case?)
henry33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #34

Location: The corner of the world where NC, TN and VA intersect at an elevation of 3,500'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Actually that's just the start of the discussion!
I believe there is a lot of interest by Joe & Susie 6 pack for HDM, they are just sitting on the sidelines waiting for a winner to the war.
I predict a huge jump when there is only 1 format of HDM on store shelves.
Moose,

Do you REALLY think Joe and Susie are going to pay MORE for a hi-rez DVD when they CANNOT SEE THE DIFFERENCE on their 42" Wal-Mart LCD HDTV between the more-expensive hi-rez DVD and their existing collection of regular DVD's?

And let me clue you in: Joe and Susie already think because their $50 DVD player can upscale to 1080i or p, they actually believe they have a hi-rez DVD player. Do you ever go into a store and actually talk to shoppers like I do? I didn't think so.

Trust me, hi-rez discs aren't going to survive. I've got over 25 years in the CE business in one form or another, and only I only ever made one mistake: I bought 15,000 T-Rex "novelty" telephones to merchandise with the first Jurassic Park movie for the 150 stores I was buying for at the time, and we only sold 1/2 of them: I dumped the rest to off-shore vendors, but I at least broke even on my bad judgment on the T-Rex phone. So tell me about your CE industry background? Or are you just a CE "drugstore cowboy?"

You just don't get it: Joe and Susie ARE NOT going to pay more for a hi-rez DVD that looks no different to them than their regular DVD's.

And when you tell us there is going to be a "huge jump" in HDM discs, I say: Whatever you are drinking, I want some.
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
---------------
Samuel P. Huntington

Last edited by Vinyl Rules!; 02-08-2008 at 06:37 PM..
Vinyl Rules! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Rules! View Post
And when you tell us there is going to be a "huge jump" in HDM discs, I say: Whatever you are drinking, I want some.

Vinyl,

NPD's recent release of their studies show that 70% of HDTV owners have no plans of buying HDM at any time no matter who wins the format war.

That right there shows your POV is correct.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #36

I`m not into these statistics, but of the people I know, that are not audiophiles, most of them have a HDTV, no HD player at all, and use either Cablevision or DirecTV for high definition content.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
aes, channel, consumers, dvd, fox, hd, meyer, mistakes, moran, reality, return, sams, specs, tech, warranty