Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 02-06-2008   #19

Default Re: How many DVD consumers purchase HD DVD by mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Lotus,

I am really surprised to hear you say this!

In my modest bedroom system the difference between DD and uncompressed PCM is HUGE! Now mind you for most of my testing I was using concert Blu-rays, so it was music I was listening to, but even on film I found the difference to be immediately noticeable.
It depends on the quality of the DD+ but for the most part in movies you can't tell the difference. DD and PCM would be huge. DD+ and PCM not so much and definately not to most consumers. I thought there was a much bigger difference before I took part in the blind tests. Afterwards I realized just how good DD+ could be.

Concert discs rarely have the budget for sound that a movie disc gets. With a few exceptions I'd guess the lossless tracks should be better on concert discs.

The best sounding HDM of last year was a Dolby Digital Plus track. DD+ properly utilized can sound flat out amazing and approach near lossless quality.

The difference between DD and DD+ however is quite significant.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #20

Sorry, I miss read, I thought you were talking about DD and PCM, I haven't done any DD+ vs PCM tests yet.

Thanks for clarifying that! I was getting scared to hear you running all that new gear when I thought you couldn't hear the difference between DD and PCM!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #21

Good information here Lotus. I`ve always favored DTS myself. Especially listening to Jazz and movie discs. Its good to know that about DD+.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Good information here Lotus. I`ve always favored DTS myself. Especially listening to Jazz and movie discs. Its good to know that about DD+.
DTS Master Audio has a 1.5 core that is very much the same as DD+ with the benefit of lossless superior audio available.
Old 02-06-2008   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbungle View Post
DTS Master Audio has a 1.5 core that is very much the same as DD+ with the benefit of lossless superior audio available.
This is true DTS has their "Plus," and their "True HD," versions as well. Dolby Digital Plus however is a big step up from "Dolby Digital," or "DTS," for that matter.
Old 02-06-2008   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Sorry, I miss read, I thought you were talking about DD and PCM, I haven't done any DD+ vs PCM tests yet.

Thanks for clarifying that! I was getting scared to hear you running all that new gear when I thought you couldn't hear the difference between DD and PCM!
I hear ya. I'd want my hearing checked too if I couldn't tell between old Dolby Digital and PCM Lossless.

Dolby Digital Plus is a major improvement on the old codec.
Sponsored Links

Tags
aes, channel, consumers, dvd, fox, hd, meyer, mistakes, moran, reality, return, sams, specs, tech, warranty