Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 01-09-2008   #49

Default Re: CES 2008 Predictions!

I suspect HD DVD is at best licking their wounds, possibly DONE!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
My guess is then HD-DVD group is just freaked out & maybe they just completely pulled out of the show to "circle the wagons"
So did they just decide to not show the 51G or is it really "vaporwear"?

I personally think HD-DVD would be best laid to rest but who knows what will happen, if they hold on to Universal & won't release paramount & Dreamworks from their contract maybe Toshiba will release a dual format player & stretch it out as long as they can.
But you know what, that is not good for anybody. Now, we will have what we had before. People with two machines, and two libraries. All those people who bought those inexpensive Toshiba HD DVD players, what of them now? This helps no one. People will feel cheated, rightfully so, and will go farther away from the high end. As once again, a format war has hurt their joy, and this should ALL be about joy.

Right?
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #51

Greg,

While I see your point, there is only one winner in any 'war' and the losers have to take there lumps. Moose summed it up well pointing out that we all have been early adopters and knew we could get screwed, so why bitch now? I will still keep my HD DVD player for now, if it dies after the format war is over (assuming BD really does win) then oh well, I have to buy some more movies, or maybe I'll see that I don';t need all of them and it won't be so big a hit. Who knows, but hopefully soon we'll have a single format!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Greg,

While I see your point, there is only one winner in any 'war' and the losers have to take there lumps. Moose summed it up well pointing out that we all have been early adopters and knew we could get screwed, so why bitch now? I will still keep my HD DVD player for now, if it dies after the format war is over (assuming BD really does win) then oh well, I have to buy some more movies, or maybe I'll see that I don';t need all of them and it won't be so big a hit. Who knows, but hopefully soon we'll have a single format!
I hear you. Definitely. All I`ve been trying to say is, we talk about this war, like we, the audiophiles are the only ones in this. I`m just trying to look at the big picture. We all love this stuff. And I think we all want to share, or bring more people aboard. Which would be good for all of us. Whether its your neighbor, work colleague, etc. But how do we do it, like this??

Unless, I`m wrong about us wanting other people to enjoy what we love?? Because if i am, then...................
Old 01-10-2008   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
I hear you. Definitely. All I`ve been trying to say is, we talk about this war, like we, the audiophiles are the only ones in this. I`m just trying to look at the big picture. We all love this stuff. And I think we all want to share, or bring more people aboard. Which would be good for all of us. Whether its your neighbor, work colleague, etc. But how do we do it, like this??

Unless, I`m wrong about us wanting other people to enjoy what we love?? Because if i am, then...................
Well that's the dilemma isn't it?
I've showed my system to a lot of friends & co workers & they all liked it, but I had to tell them they were risking picking what could become an obsolete format & anything they bought may have to be repurchased after the war was settled.
I couldn't recommend they bought anything until there was a winner.
I have almost 100 Blu-Ray movies but what can I say, I took a chance & it's looking like I might have lucked out & picked the winner.

It's looking like it'll be safe to recommend Blu-Ray to friends soon & I hope they will enjoy it as much as I did.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Well that's the dilemma isn't it?
I've showed my system to a lot of friends & co workers & they all liked it, but I had to tell them they were risking picking what could become an obsolete format & anything they bought may have to be repurchased after the war was settled.
I couldn't recommend they bought anything until there was a winner.
I have almost 100 Blu-Ray movies but what can I say, I took a chance & it's looking like I might have lucked out & picked the winner.

It's looking like it'll be safe to recommend Blu-Ray to friends soon & I hope they will enjoy it as much as I did.
Yes, and I commend your decision making. You took your time, did your research, and thankfully, it worked out for you. Well, its all just words now. Hopefully, this will be a swift end to the format war. Then, we`ll see. But as Jerry said, the machines for Blu-Ray are very slow. There are many improvements that need to be made, for most consumers to really have no problem with the operation of Blu-Ray players. And its really strange, but considering price, convenience, and the fact that it seems to play most discs w/o firmware updates, I know some have mentioned this new Panasonic, but the OLD SONY PS3 seems to be the most consistent performer of every other stand alone player out there.
Sponsored Links