Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 01-04-2008   #37

Default Re: CES 2008 Predictions!

WB will remain neutral but could go HD-DVD exclusive at some point in the year, highly unlikely, however.
Jackpot852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #38

Exclamation Re: CES 2008 Predictions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot852 View Post
WB will remain neutral but could go HD-DVD exclusive at some point in the year, highly unlikely, however.
WB is Blu-Ray exclusive!!

Warners goes Blu-Ray exclusive!!

NEW YORK/LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Time Warner Inc's (TWX.N: Quote, Profile, Research) Warner Bros studio on Friday said it would exclusively release high-definition DVDs in Sony Corp's (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) Blu-ray format, dealing a big blow to Toshiba Corp's (6502.T: Quote, Profile, Research) rival HD DVD technology.

Warner Bros, Hollywood's biggest seller of DVDs, representing about 18 to 20 percent of sales in the United States, was one of the few studios that backed both formats.

All sides of the format war had agreed it was confusing to consumers and a stumbling block for a potential multibillion-dollar industry.

Total DVD unit sales fell 4.5 percent in 2007, the first major year-over-year decline since the disc format debuted in 1997, according to Adams Media Research. Sales fell 4.8 percent to $15.7 billion.

"The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers," Warner Bros Chairman and Chief Executive Barry Meyer said in a statement.

News Corp's (NWSa.N: Quote, Profile, Research) 20th Century Fox, Walt Disney Co (DIS.N: Quote, Profile, Research), and Lionsgate (LGF.N: Quote, Profile, Research) are among studios backing the Blu-ray format. Viacom Inc's (VIAb.N: Quote, Profile, Research) Paramount studios and General Electric's (GE.N: Quote, Profile, Research) NBC Universal release movies in HD DVD format.

Warner said it would continue releasing in the HD DVD format until the end of May, although those releases would follow the standard DVD and Blu-ray releases.

(Reporting by Kenneth Li in New York and Bob Tourtellotte and Peter Henderson in Los Angeles; Editing by Brian Moss)
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #39

Yeah, I know. Dammit.

If only I had waited a couple of months. While not entirely $300 down the drain, it still sucks. But if BR players get finalized, come down in price AND is shown to be the true next gen after DVD, I'll bite.
Jackpot852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #40

Talk about stealing thunder before the show even opens next week!
Old 01-04-2008   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
When I was asked by my wife why I don't wear it...

I said I couldn't live with myself if it was stolen. Not because of the monetary loss but it was my Grandfathers. I've been thinking more and more about getting it out of the box though... and just wearing it.
Lotus,

You are looking at this all wrong.

First off, how many times do you even hear of someone getting a watch stolen?

Second, each and every time you wear it you will be remembering, and honoring your grandfather and his success. I wear my dads (he's still alive fortunately) gold 'lex as much as possible, and when asked I proudly tell people I got it from my father. Every time I put it on my wrist I think about my dad and how lucky I am to have had him rear me!

A watch in a safety deposit box is a trinket, one worn is a legacy.....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Here is a new Prediction that I put at about 50/50 for CES:

WB goes HD DVD exclusive.
MS announces a HD DVD version of the 360.

Toshiba announces TVs with builtin HDs, Internet Capabilities...and LIVE are in development for late Summer release.
1.Well the first one is shot to hell.

2.Do you think MS will still have a built in HD-DVD drive or could they announce a built in Blu-Ray drive?
I'm thinking MS is having to completely redo their CES announcements.

3.They are most likely looking into manufacturing cheap Blu-Ray players now.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links