Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: lower Hudson Valley & Frostbite Falls, VT
Posts: 93
Default Re: CES 2008 Predictions!

Here's a great Rolex story:

A rep friend of mine got married shortly after WWII and for their first anniversary his wife had been saving up grocery money and gave him a gold Rolex that she got through a family friend who was a jeweler at cost. He's not a flashy guy and never wore it much - skip forward 20+ years and their daughter is getting married and his wife suggested he dust off the old Rolex to wear to the wedding. He hadn't worn it in years and took it in for a cleaning, only to learn that it was now worth over $6K (this was in the late 60s or early 70s)! Needless to say he was amazed and now keeps it in the safe deposit box rather than his sox drawer!
__________________
recovering audiophile/ascending videophile/isf-certified calibrator
MoosePond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #26
Super Member
 
kennyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,422
Default Re: CES 2008 Predictions!

Sadly those older gold models have not gone up since, I have one circa 1977 and it is worth ~$6-7K, the new one is $22K.....
__________________
Ken Taraszka, MD
Associate Editor
HomeTheaterReview
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #27
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 938
Default Re: CES 2008 Predictions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Sadly those older gold models have not gone up since, I have one circa 1977 and it is worth ~$6-7K, the new one is $22K.....
When my grandfather died he left me a WWII era gold rolex. It was valued at around $25k at the time (1999). So your 77 era may be worth $6-$7k but those 70 year old models are worth a lot more in pristine condition. Mine is in a safety deposit box as well.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: lower Hudson Valley & Frostbite Falls, VT
Posts: 93
Default Re: CES 2008 Predictions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
When my grandfather died he left me a WWII era gold rolex. It was valued at around $25k at the time (1999). So your 77 era may be worth $6-$7k but those 70 year old models are worth a lot more in pristine condition. Mine is in a safety deposit box as well.
Value is fairly relative when it's a family heirloom and, like you, I'm certain that Bill would never part with his 1940s gold Rolex for any amount of money. If I recall correctly, his wife paid something like $600 for it that she saved a buck here, 50 cents there from her household money - the sentimental value to him far outweighs any possible monetary gain.
__________________
recovering audiophile/ascending videophile/isf-certified calibrator
MoosePond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #29
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 938
Default Re: CES 2008 Predictions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosePond View Post
Value is fairly relative when it's a family heirloom and, like you, I'm certain that Bill would never part with his 1940s gold Rolex for any amount of money. If I recall correctly, his wife paid something like $600 for it that she saved a buck here, 50 cents there from her household money - the sentimental value to him far outweighs any possible monetary gain.
When I was asked by my wife why I don't wear it...

I said I couldn't live with myself if it was stolen. Not because of the monetary loss but it was my Grandfathers. I've been thinking more and more about getting it out of the box though... and just wearing it.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #30
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 240
Default Re: CES 2008 Predictions!

Warner goes hddvd exclusive bringing New Line and HBO with them.
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CES 2008 Processor Update kennyt Discuss AVRev.com News 11 02-29-2008 04:49 AM
Marantz Debuts HDMI 1.3a Switcher at CES 2008 AVRevForum.com HDMI 4 01-21-2008 10:58 AM
CES 2008 Audio Update kennyt Discuss AVRev.com News 6 01-12-2008 08:33 PM
CES 2008 Video Update kennyt Discuss AVRev.com News 9 01-12-2008 04:14 PM
CES 2008 BD Predictions! Lotus Blu-ray Software 20 01-04-2008 10:46 PM




SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1