Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 01-03-2008   #19

Default Re: CES 2008 Predictions!

Back to the topic.....

I predict I leave with a new watch!

Anyone want to bet against that??
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
...back to the topic....I for one am hoping to see many new high end pre/pro's capable of the new audio formats, but alas I dream...
Yes, you do, as it's all about volume ($$$$) and the high-end guys collectively will never again have the volume of a single mass-market manufacturer. It's also about engineering and product development time and talent. Sure, Dan D'Angelo and his ilk are brilliant; however, there's mostly only one or two of them at each high-end company whereas the mass-market guys have dozens, hundreds or thousands of engineers! I recall in the early 80s when a friend and colleague of mine left harman/kardon and went to work for Toshiba. At his first sales meeting with his reps he made a point about their engineering prowess by asking how many engineers did the group think that Harman International had in all divisions (which at the time included JBL, harman/kardon, Infinity, Citation, Rabco, Tannoy & Ortofon)? These were leading-edge companies that each had a strong technological story and history and the answer was less than 100 (and, frankly, only about 20 that really made significant contributions). Toshiba at the time had over 25,000 engineers!
Old 01-03-2008   #21

Quote:
Back to the topic.....I predict I leave with a new watch!

Anyone want to bet against that??
What, only one new watch? How about at least one new sport watch and one new fashion watch?
Old 01-03-2008   #22

MoosePond,

You forget I live in FLorida, west coast, so dress watches are rarely needed, besides I have that avenue covered already, well somewhat! I really like a watch I can beat the hell out of and not worry about, thus why I still wear my steel Rolex so much, the damn thing can be thrown against a wall (I have done that just to PO a Movado guy one day) and still keep good time and you can swim with it as well. I have my eye and mind on a Ulysse Nardin watch right now..... I would love a Vacheron Constantin but they are more elegant and I am not quite at that phase in my life yet....
Old 01-03-2008   #23

Quote:
I really like a watch I can beat the hell out of and not worry about, thus why I still wear my steel Rolex so much, the damn thing can be thrown against a wall (I have done that just to PO a Movado guy one day) and still keep good time and you can swim with it as well.
A friend is a Rado freak (he has either 3 or 4 now) and he loves to brag about how indestructible they are but I'd have to agree that a steel Rolex is pretty hard to beat for long-term durability, not to mention understated class.

Last edited by MoosePond; 01-03-2008 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: correct typo
MoosePond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #24

Yeah,

My dad gave me that watch when I got into medical school, it's like 18 years old now, and the last service cost more than the watch did all that time ago! That said, I'll never give it up!
Sponsored Links