Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   HD DVD Software & Hardware (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware-50/)
-   -   I can't believe how cheap some people are re: HD DVD (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware/1322-i-cant-believe-how-cheap-some-people-re-hd-dvd.html)

JerryDelColliano 12-20-2007 07:16 PM

I can't believe how cheap some people are re: HD DVD

I was talking to someone today who asked my staff's advice on a $2000 60 inch HDTV. We gave it to him to find out he is using a VCR tuner to run SD cable into the set.

When I told him he HAD to spend the $10 a month extra for HD, he protested.

But things got worse when I suggested that he buy a $129 HD DVD player. Oh, my god - It was if I asked him to spend $10,000. "And what if the format fails and Blu-ray wins?" I said "so what - rent discs from Netflix if you are that worried - that costs another $5 a month"

Seriously, how can ANYONE sit on the fence. A Samsung BR player is $279. A Toshiba HD DVD player is less than $200. C'mon - people.... BUCK UP. Holidays are for HD aren't they?

Lotus 12-20-2007 08:35 PM

Re: I can't believe how cheap some people are re: HD DVD

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 7757)
I was talking to someone today who asked my staff's advice on a $2000 60 inch HDTV. We gave it to him to find out he is using a VCR tuner to run SD cable into the set.

But things got worse when I suggested that he buy a $129 HD DVD player. Oh, my god - It was if I asked him to spend $10,000. "And what if the format fails and Blu-ray wins?" I said "so what - rent discs from Netflix if you are that worried - that costs another $5 a month"

Seriously, how can ANYONE sit on the fence. A Samsung BR player is $279. A Toshiba HD DVD player is less than $200. C'mon - people.... BUCK UP. Holidays are for HD aren't they?

Jerry,

Surprisingly a lot of people don't want to "waste," money on the NextGen formats because of "losing."

The recent study I read showed that 56% of new HDTV owners want to own a Next Gen player. Of those 71% want to wait and see who wins. Of the 71% about 67% would buy HD DVD if they had to choose. Of the 29% around 58% plan on buying an HD DVD player in the next year.

People hate spending money on something that will be obsolete.

This war is hurting both sides. I can understand. $200 for the player. $1000 in software, and then the thing is obsolete. Even if the otherside wins, that software doesn't need to be replaced by the oposing side. That is the strong point to make. The software isn't going to go bad. It's as good as the other guys so you're free to shop without worries. You just may have to spend another $200 in the future.

Big deal. However you have to let them understand that they won't have to repurchase the software on those opposite label.

prerich 12-20-2007 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 7757)

Man I thought I was cheap!!!! This person may not just be cheap but may also be cheep (as in the sound a little bird makes, like a baby chicken)! If you guys have stuff to give away just for people to try it - I will "buck up" for ya ;)! I have High Def over the air through my PC, over my Mediacom cable, and both Next Gen formats!

clew84 12-20-2007 10:08 PM

I couldn't agree more - that guy was cheap. I was one of those fence-sitters and here I was with a Sony VPL-VW50! I finally made the leap last week and bought a PS3 just for the video and I couldn't believe how it looked. My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner.

I think a/v stores could do themselves a favor by actively showing customers what it means to upgrade to one or the other (for example, not just the passive Sony display showing how "A Knights Tale" looks in std def vs BR). Show a standard DVD on the new HD TV their customer just purchased and then show them all that the TV is capable of with the new formats. Even if their chosen format loses, that $200-400 initial investment is well-worth the additional capabilities that they will be able to enjoy for the next few years until this war is settled.

kennyt 12-21-2007 03:52 AM

Jerry,

You make me want to buy another player, and Lotus is making me think of the new combo player..

Lotus 12-21-2007 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 7798)
Jerry,

You make me want to buy another player, and Lotus is making me think of the new combo player..

You should get the LG and we can compare notes.

;)