Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 06-01-2007   #1
Administrator

Default Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player Reviewed

Read the full review at

http://www.avrev.com/equip/toshiba_hdxa2_player/

and post your comments and questions here in this thread. Subscribe to a
thread to be informed when other AVRev.com readers post their comments and questions.
AVRevForum.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007   #2

Default Re: Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player Reviewed

I whole heartedly agree with Bryan on this one, the FF is annoying, but the video output of this player is simply amazing. I initially had issues with it recognizing my sets 1080p status, but I added a Meridian 121 HDMax extender due to a long HDMI run and then it worked perfectly. Very cool looking player, and the remote is nice as well.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #3

I have HAD it with my XA1. Maybe I need to get an XA2?
Old 07-06-2007   #4

Do it Jerry,

The XA2 is way cooler looking and has 1080p. It's still not DVD fast but is much better than the XA1, which was a rush to market job in my opinion and likely why it was so short lived.

As usual it can be finicky with the HDCP thang. I initiall had issues with it not recognizing my set as 1080p when it went through my switcher, but at the recomendation of Jason Baker I added the HDMax 121 signal amp (for a totally different reason) and it works perfectly now. The scaling on SD DVD's is the best I've seen to date.

KT
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #5

I am feeling a little broke right now. Might need to wait for a few weeks as the install, the player and the crestron programing might cost me $1000 and I just dropped $10,000 more on landscaping at my house (talk about hooked) which is looking good.
Old 12-02-2007   #6

Default Re: Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player Reviewed/Purelink HS42

Hi,

this is a question to Bryan dailey concerning the hdmi switcher, he used for his review…
Bryan, you said :

"Searching for an alternative way to effectively switch HDMI, I installed a PureLink HS-42A 4-in x 2-out HDMI switcher. The coolest feature of this box isn’t the fact that it effectively switches HDMI. This is currently the only box that can actually digitally strip out the high-res soundtracks from HD DVD and Blu-ray players that are using the HDMI output and convert it into optical or digital coaxial audio to run into your receiver or AV preamp. As I stated earlier, the player can decode and output these audio tracks via multi-channel analog outputs, or digital audio via the HDMI cable in linear PCM, but this PureLink box strips out the high-def audio tracks and sends them to any multi-channel AV receivers. Only a few receivers are available currently that support HDMI 1.3 and the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD formats. Onkyo is one such company, having just released the TX-SR605 receiver. However, the HS-42A switcher is able to strip the high-res soundtracks and decode them into linear bitstream, so you can enjoy the new Dolby and DTS formats without having to wait for capable AV receivers to be released on the market."

Bryan, are you sure that the Purelink is able to pass multichannel pcm, because SPDIF bandwith is supposed be limited to 2 channels pcm?!
If you confirm this, I'll buy this device right away.

Tx

Simon
sim.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
121, 192, code, dvd, dvdaudio, hda20, hdmax, hs, hs42, meridian, multich, output, player, purelink, toshiba, toslink