Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HD DVD Software & Hardware

HD DVD Software & Hardware Here is a place to post on everything and anything HD DVD. Toshiba's dead format lives on here.

Old 12-02-2007   #7

Default Re: Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player Reviewed

sim.m,

I think I can field this one,

The switcher will pass all MC Audio in all formats via HDMI, it also offers a coaxial and optical digital output which, as you assumed, only output DD or DTS, not the high res formats to the best of my knowledge.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #8

Dear Kenny,

So you think Bryan made a mistake, because that's not what he is saying in his review :

"the HS-42A switcher is able to strip the high-res soundtracks and decode them into linear bitstream, so you can enjoy the new Dolby and DTS formats without having to wait for capable AV receivers to be released on the market."

Having a very good AV receiver without Hdmi input, i wanted to have a confirmation from him before getting this device.

Tx
sim.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #9

I could be mistaken but I don't see how the new audio formats would come over coax or optical.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #10

Let me clarify this for you...

The review is not stating that the switcher will output multichannel PCM audio through the toslink or digital coaxial outputs. It is stating that the switcher is able to take the Dolby TrueHD bitstream audio and strip the high-resolution track into PCM and re-encode it as a core DTS format to pass through toslink or digital coaxial. It can also preserve the high-resolution sound formats, convert them to PCM and output them via HDMI to a receiver capable of receiving MultiCh PCM via HDMI.

The switcher part of this review is intended for those that need HDMI switching capabilities and would like to preserve the high-res formats. The review is a bit dated as now most all players have the capability to internally decode the hig-res formats and output them via HDMI to your receiver.

In the end, MultiCH PCM cannot be output via digital coaxial or toslink, only 2-channel PCM. HDMI v1.1 or higher is needed to send MultiCh PCM. HDMI 1.3 is needed to send bitstream versions of the high-res audio formats.

Hope this clarifies any misunderstandings.
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #11

Hello,

You should re-read the review, but thank you for that clarification, anyway.

simon.
sim.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #12

Trust me, I read this review over many times when proofing it and laying it out.

If you are referring to this line, "This is currently the only box that can actually digitally strip out the high-res soundtracks from HD DVD and Blu-ray players that are using the HDMI output and convert it into optical or digital coaxial audio to run into your receiver or AV preamp." then you might be reading too much into it.

All the above quote is saying is that the switcher can take the high-res soundtracks from the player and then re-encode at a S/PDIF bandwidth acceptable audio track for toslink output. It in no way states that it will send high-resolution multichannel PCM audio out through the toslink connection. Yes, the player can also decode the high-resolution soundtracks and output the core sound through the toslink jack, however this paragraph was talking about if you needed an HDMI switcher in your system. This switcher would allow you to connect the player via HDMI bitstream and still receive audio through the toslink adapter. That's all, nothing more.
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
121, 192, code, dvd, dvdaudio, hda20, hdmax, hs, hs42, meridian, multich, output, player, purelink, toshiba, toslink