Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   HD DVD Software & Hardware (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware-50/)
-   -   HD DVD player audio set up (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware/1038-hd-dvd-player-audio-set-up.html)

AJones 11-11-2007 05:53 AM

HD DVD player audio set up

I just purchased a Pioneer VSX-91TXH Elite Receiver to be able to fully enjoy my Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD player. The Pioneer has decoding capablilties for Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD Master Audio. No problem setting up the receiver. The one question I have regards the the audio setup choice for HDMI. Do I select auto or PCM. Regardless of what audio select I choose on the DVD, True HD or Dolby Digital Plus the display on the Pioneer shows PCM. I have read many reviews and they talk about sending umcompressed PCM to the receiver? All I want to know is which audio setup option to select.

tigeraudio2007 11-12-2007 10:25 AM

Re: HD DVD player audio set up

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJones (Post 6047)
I just purchased a Pioneer VSX-91TXH Elite Receiver to be able to fully enjoy my Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD player. The Pioneer has decoding capablilties for Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD Master Audio. No problem setting up the receiver. The one question I have regards the the audio setup choice for HDMI. Do I select auto or PCM. Regardless of what audio select I choose on the DVD, True HD or Dolby Digital Plus the display on the Pioneer shows PCM. I have read many reviews and they talk about sending umcompressed PCM to the receiver? All I want to know is which audio setup option to select.

As with the Blu-ray Sony BDP-S1, the Toshiba HD-XA2 will not pass bitstream TrueHD or DTS Master HD audio to the receiver for decoding. Although, theoretically, a firmware update could fix this in the future. The player does have the ability to decode the TrueHD internally then pass it as PCM to the receiver via HDMI. DTS Master Audio is not supported by this player, and the player will only extract a core DTS stream from it. The same thing applies to DTS HD HR, only the DTS core stream will be extracted.

So again, use the PCM output and let the player do all the work with the audio formats.

The Toshiba HD-A35 is the only player currently to support bitstream output of TrueHD and DTS Master HD audio formats for HD DVD.

AJones 11-14-2007 07:49 AM

Re: HD DVD player audio set up

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigeraudio2007 (Post 6141)
As with the Blu-ray Sony BDP-S1, the Toshiba HD-XA2 will not pass bitstream TrueHD or DTS Master HD audio to the receiver for decoding. Although, theoretically, a firmware update could fix this in the future. The player does have the ability to decode the TrueHD internally then pass it as PCM to the receiver via HDMI. DTS Master Audio is not supported by this player, and the player will only extract a core DTS stream from it. The same thing applies to DTS HD HR, only the DTS core stream will be extracted.

So again, use the PCM output and let the player do all the work with the audio formats.

The Toshiba HD-A35 is the only player currently to support bitstream output of TrueHD and DTS Master HD audio formats for HD DVD.

I guess the new 2.7 update now allows the player to pass bitstream of TrueHD and DTS Master HD for de-coding in a capable 1.3 HDMI receiver.

Now if only Sony does this for the BDP-S1!!