Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Furniture & Racks (http://www.avrev.com/forum/furniture-racks-17/)
-   -   What is up with those saw horse stands for cables? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/furniture-racks/829-what-up-those-saw-horse-stands-cables.html)

bryan562 10-01-2007 01:59 PM

What is up with those saw horse stands for cables?

Have you ever seen the audiophile nerds that put their speaker cables on saw horse looking stands? My best guess is so the earths magnetic pull doesn't affect the sound or something mega geeky like that. Does anyone have a clue why they do this? I sound cynical but if it works, I'd give it a try (assuming someone can convince me of it).

Robinson_A 10-01-2007 07:03 PM

Re: What is up with those saw horse stands for cables?

I'll go you one further. At last year's Home Entertainment Show in LA, and at CES now that I think about it, I saw a guy selling jars of change, that's right, change as in dimes, quarters etc etc to hang from your ceiling to breakup sound waves. He had "special" jars that when filled with various combinations of coins, would improve the sound of your room without the need for bass traps and the like. The room, or at least the ceiling, was covered with these little magic jars. Now one would think that the jars would cost as much as the change inside, okay maybe 10 cents more, you know, for the jar. Nope, these babies were waaaay more than that. Plus, and not that there was any bass, but when a stray bass note hit the little things rattle and ping like your neighbor's wind chime on a Sunday morning when you're trying to sleep. I asked the guy about that and he said he was playing with the idea of using sand and coins together so that you get the best of both worlds. Needless to say, my head hurt after this encounter and I quickly headed for the exit where I went next door to listen to yet another old timer tell me about how goat hair threaded between two Yak testicles makes for the best tweeter.

Some things can and do make a difference and other things, well they're just things. To me cable stands are about asthetic, nothing more. If there is audible difference, only dogs can hear it.

deacongreg 10-02-2007 07:00 PM

lol Andrew. The accessory area, (if that is what you want to call it) of high end has always bothered me. Discs, pings, horse stands, all this stuff claimimg to take your rig to the next level of Stars Wars.

Trust me, dogs can not hear it either.

TheMoose 10-02-2007 08:41 PM

There is all kinds of "snake oil" out there for cars, "get more power" "Get better fuel mileage" etc.
The electronics market has it's fair share also.

kennyt 10-03-2007 02:47 AM

OK,

I have heard explanations for the little stands, supposedly they limit interference and changes in ...(fill in theory here) associated with laying cables on carpet. I often see them in systems on tile though so...

If you really want to see some snake oil, check out Machina Dynamica! I have to laugh when I see these guy's stuff at shows... The tiny little pebbles (colored pebbles in a glass bottle) The clever little clock (literally a LED clock) thaty will vastly improve your systems imaging with each clock in the room (I wonder if my automatic watch collection is why my bedroom sounds good?) and my absolute favorite... The teleportation tweak!

This one truly takes the cake! You call them, on any phone, and they send a series of tones to your phone that will open the soundstage/improve dynamics you name it! If ANYONE doesn't ask for there money back on this one.......

http://www.machinadynamica.com/

The amazing thing is they must be selling as I see this stuff around...

deacongreg 10-04-2007 04:40 PM

And that kennyt is the problem with this stuff. For, you are right, if you are seeing it, someone out there is making a purchase. Does not help the high end at all.