Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Furniture & Racks

Furniture & Racks Discuss how to best display and house your system in the latest new furniture.

Old 06-20-2010   #13

Default Re: How far away should I sit from my TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvos View Post
about 3 or 4 meters
I sit about 12 feet (less than 4 meters) from my 100" screen.

The rule of thumb for any properly designed 1080p screen, if the goal of the viewer is home-theater, is to sit about 1.5 times away from the screen as the screen is wide. From a screen 3 feet wide the sweet-spot would be somewhere about 4.5 feet away.

This distance provides the viewers with approximately 30 degrees of viewing angle of the screen... filling the same field of vision that cinema provides and the movie directors optimize their films to deliver.

One can sit closer or farther from any screen for any reason, but sitting farther than 2 screen widths would no longer represent "home theater" in the sense that experience of movie reproduction is not taking place.
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010   #14

You should sit right where your wife or girlfriend says to....or where the couch and chairs look right in the room. (my 2 cents).

Folks often ask me..."at what height should a TV be mounted on the wall?" Measure the height of your eyes while seated on the couch. Then place the center line of the TV screen at that same height. You'll find the TV center to be about 30" off the ground and it'll look crazy as hell if you mount it there.

HiTech Upgrades.com
clinthicum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinthicum View Post
You should sit right where your wife or girlfriend says to....or where the couch and chairs look right in the room. (my 2 cents).

Folks often ask me..."at what height should a TV be mounted on the wall?" Measure the height of your eyes while seated on the couch. Then place the center line of the TV screen at that same height. You'll find the TV center to be about 30" off the ground and it'll look crazy as hell if you mount it there.
All well and true, if the goal is home-decorating. And that very well may be someone's primary goal, which is perfectly fine.

but since this is a home-theater related discussion forum, shouldn't the advice pertain to home-theater optimiation rather than decor?
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010   #16
Banned

There is both a minimum and a maximum distance for the best view of the screen. When possible, you should attempt to find a screen size that has your viewing distance someplace in the middle.
Size
The following sizes recommended by tigerdirect.com are listed with the minimum to the maximum distance in feet:

26-inch screen size -- 3 feet to 6 feet
32-inch screen size -- 3 feet to 7 feet
37-inch screen size -- 4 feet to 8 feet
42-inch screen size -- 5 feet to 10 feet
47-inch screen size -- 6 feet to 12 feet
60-inch screen size -- 7 feet to 15 feet

You also want to take into consideration the television stand itself. If you are buying a new television stand, it's not likely to be an issue. If you are using an old stand then you will want to be certain that your new television will fit.
brattgomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010   #17

here is a <a href="http://www.furniture-cn.com">solid wood furniture</a> store for you.
gicasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011   #18

Whats going on everyone, i was considering the samsung 59 inch plasma d8000 series. I currently sit about 11ft and a change from my sammy 52". I should be good with the viewing distance with the 59 inch shouldn't I?
Toesaudio73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
60, 61, back, be, couch, distance, furniture, hidef, inch, lcd, plasma, put, sit, tv, viewing