Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > DVD-Audio & SACD Software

DVD-Audio & SACD Software Discuss DVD-Audio & Super Audio CD titles here.

Old 11-04-2007   #7

Default Re: Thriller was mixed for 5.1 and DVD-Audio but never released

I think you are referring to the 5.1 mix done by Mick Guzauski.There was an interview where he talked about the 5.1 mix - http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_mick_guzauski

It was not done for DVD-Audio,it must have been done for SACD.Sony releases surround music only on SACDs.I guess the 5.1 mix was done with SACD in mind and both Michael and the guys from Sony were involved in this project.I can only speculate about the reason why the 5.1 mix never made it to SACD, maybe Michael or the guys at Sony were not impressed with the results.But Mick Guzauski said in an interview that the 5.1 mix might never come out because of the changes (differences) between Sony and with Michael.

With Sony aggressively pushing Blu-ray and the fact that Blu-ray specs have an audio only disc profile makes me believe that 5.1 mix of Thriller would be released someday on Blu-ray Audio discs.But I wonder if they will use the 5.1 that was made way back in 2001 during the infancy of 5.1 music.If I were MJ or the guy at Sony who makes all decisions then I would get a new 5.1 mix done by some top 5.1 mix engineer like Elliott Scheiner.Its too bad that MJ's engineer - Bruce Swedien is not into 5.1 mixing,it would be amazing if he does a 5.1 for thriller.

If Thriller ever gets released with a 5.1 mix then I will buy one for sure.

Last edited by Fredrick; 11-04-2007 at 01:44 PM..
Fredrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007   #8

Sony has started releasing high res Blu-rays...

Maybe this is why they have bailed on SACD?? If so, GREAT! Give me a higher res format!!!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Sony has started releasing high res Blu-rays...

Maybe this is why they have bailed on SACD?? If so, GREAT! Give me a higher res format!!!
kenny, this would certainly make us all very happy, if we could get great recordings on Blu-Ray, but will this ever happen...................
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
kenny, this would certainly make us all very happy, if we could get great recordings on Blu-Ray, but will this ever happen...................
Hi, I certainly agree with you. This makes all us happy. Its great to know that. Thanks for sharing it with us.
daniel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #11

I know the master of Thriller sounds very good for an 80's pop record. The SACD was less than excellent however sounded much better on the Krell Evolution SACD player versus my old Sony unit. I am just not willing to put $10,000 into a format that is dead despite how good those few discs sounded.
Old 06-08-2008   #12

Smile Re: Thriller was mixed for 5.1 and DVD-Audio but never released

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
I know the master of Thriller sounds very good for an 80's pop record. The SACD was less than excellent however sounded much better on the Krell Evolution SACD player versus my old Sony unit. I am just not willing to put $10,000 into a format that is dead despite how good those few discs sounded.
Right now, I guess, we will just watch and see if anyone decides to put there foot in the water, and start making music cds on Blu-Ray. For those of us that did make the original investment in SACD`s and DVD-A`s, we will continue to enjoy them, and continue to buy them, through companies like Telarc, until they cease from making them.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
51, album, audio, dvd, dvda, dvdaudio, jackson, michael, mix, music, super, surround, thriller, version, video