Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   DVD-Audio & SACD Software (http://www.avrev.com/forum/dvd-audio-sacd-software-52/)
-   -   DVD-A Available Again: Read About BSM Now (http://www.avrev.com/forum/dvd-audio-sacd-software/465-dvd-available-again-read-about-bsm-now.html)

timbre4 08-15-2007 01:22 PM

DVD-A Available Again: Read About BSM Now

Because sound matters

As of Monday, August 13th, 2007 it is now possible to purchase existing DVD-A releases with the promise of more to follow. Say you missed THE DOORS - Perception 6 CD / 6 DVD-A box set? It is available on the BSM site.

Here is a post I made a couple weeks ago that will catch you up:

Thoughts On DVD-A Is Coming
Submitted by DVDAWins on Sun, 08/05/2007 - 10:59am.
Perhaps even the critics will appreciate this better with a brief timeline:

Jan 2007 - Tip that a new Warner site will include DVD-A releases.
Feb-Apr 2007 - Speculation on DVD-A; frustration
May 2007 - Soft launch of site, no DVD-A?
June 2007 - Outpouring of DVD-A support & requests
July 2007 - Hello msg appears with no DVD-A news
July 2007 - Blowback postings (me included)
July 2007 - 1st post by 'grover' assuring us DVD-A was coming in some form

After a round of emails with BSM last weekend, I decided to edit previous posts (couldn't delete) to indicate that I feel we are FINALLY on our way to getting DVD-A releases. Prior to these conversations, I was losing faith in the stated BSM premise of providing DVD-A.

The Warner folks behind the site probably didn't realize: 1) the extent of serious DVD-A interest still out there today, 2) how long or involved it would be to get actual DVD-A releases going, 3) how long a rabid fan base will wait for updates, 4) that the forum requires a lot more time and closer moderation

Having said that, I believe anything new title-wise will be months away. The DVD-A groundwork that I figured was going on between January to now, has only just begun. That's disappointing but having to live in my own world of skidding deadlines, sometimes it takes longer than we all think it should.

In reaction to cost factor for DVD-A, we have supplied lists of legacy quad releases that we would buy, existing 5.1 mixes that exist in lossy formats or were completed but never issued. There is no commitment on any of these as yet.

Many have also said they would accept 2.0 stereo DVD-A releases if the cost of 5.1 was too great a hurdle. No word yet if this is happening.

There is a strong possibility that some DVD-A re-issues will appear soon to get the ball rolling. This is the most likely thing to happen for now. I suggested these titles be put back in print:

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery / Donald Fagen - The Nightfly / Eagles - Hotel California / Fleetwood Mac - Rumours / Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies / Chicago - Chicago II / Neil Young - Harvest

That is as much as I know right now; the rest is faith that the principle players want to make DVD-A releases available once again."

timbre4 08-18-2007 10:24 AM

Re: DVD-A Available Again: Read About BSM Now

BSM now has 23 DVD-A titles with the promise of more. Go check it out and see if there is something you can buy to support this effort to bring the format back onto the table.

David DelGrosso 08-22-2007 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timbre4 (Post 2057)
BSM now has 23 DVD-A titles with the promise of more. Go check it out and see if there is something you can buy to support this effort to bring the format back onto the table.

It was funny to see this post on the BSM site:

================

Finally DVD-A!
Submitted by SamS on Wed, 08/15/2007 - 7:22am.

It is exciting to see your site supporting DVD-A. However, don't be surprised if sales via your site are only mediocre. I own these DVD-A titles already, and I'm sure many other site supporters do as well. If you offer "new" titles, or re-issues available exclusively via your site, you will get a better indication of true demand.

================

Will Warner respond by fulfilling his request for NEW titles?

Probably when Hell Freezes Over.

DD

JerryDelColliano 08-24-2007 12:55 PM

Multi channel marketing

Even if WEA released DVD-Audio titles in 24-192 stereo with some other goodies - it would help the audiophile community as well as be a high profit albeit low volume place to sell music.

Bose proves that you can sell a LOT of speakers in places ranging from Circuit to outlet malls to the New York Times to infomercials and beyond.

Why can't WEA sell high resolution music as one of its many niche? The records are alreay made. The same customers would re-buy their collections if they did 5.1 mixes with other supplementals.

Start with Zep. Do the YES catalog. Metallica. All 24-192. Cool added value goodies. Clips from live concerts that could be sold in their entirity later.

C'mon guys. It makes sense.

j

deacongreg 08-25-2007 11:50 AM

Re: Multi channel marketing

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 2199)
Even if WEA released DVD-Audio titles in 24-192 stereo with some other goodies - it would help the audiophile community as well as be a high profit albeit low volume place to sell music.

Bose proves that you can sell a LOT of speakers in places ranging from Circuit to outlet malls to the New York Times to infomercials and beyond.

Why can't WEA sell high resolution music as one of its many niche? The records are alreay made. The same customers would re-buy their collections if they did 5.1 mixes with other supplementals.

Start with Zep. Do the YES catalog. Metallica. All 24-192. Cool added value goodies. Clips from live concerts that could be sold in their entirity later.

C'mon guys. It makes sense.

j

It makes plenty of sense. But, like I mentioned to you before, unless you are spear heading this thing............ You have the passion and drive. Obviously, those in the executive positions to push the buttons, do not.

timbre4 09-09-2007 08:44 AM

Realism on becausesoundmatters.com

We did witness a flurry of activity a few weeks ago which prompted me to post about it optimistically here and elsewhere. I was one of the DVD-A fanatics that posted, prodded, pleaded for months to register keen interest and help the process along.

Never mistake activity for momentum. Here's what I know today:

1. Vinyl remains their first priority.

2. The players seem willing to do whatever they can, but almost never respond directly to suggestions or comments.

This site is driven by the efforts of two people with full-time WB gigs and should not be misconstrued as a companywide endorsement by Warner of the DVD-A format.

3. Existing DVD-A titles offered are likely items that they could secure sufficient quantities for. It was a hasty effort to get DVD-A fans off their backs for a while.

Request list submitted (ELP, Donald Fagen, etc) goes unfulfilled at this time presumably because it would require new production runs.

4. They lack resources to address shopping cart / item bugs, rendering 50% of their items impossible to order at this time.

Give these factors, I have downgraded my BSM DVD-A expectations. I don't believe we'll see any new DVD-A title announcements before the end of 2007.

Thankfully, Porcupine Tree's DVD-A for Fear Of A Blank Planet has been pre-ordered for October delivery to ease the frustration of this situation.