Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > DVD-Audio & SACD Software

DVD-Audio & SACD Software Discuss DVD-Audio & Super Audio CD titles here.

View Poll Results: Does Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon sound bad in stereo on SACD?
No - it sounds better than the CD 11 44.00%
YES - I always go back to the boxed set to listen to Dark Side on stereo CD 9 36.00%
I am normally to stoned to tell.... 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2007   #13

Default Re: Dark Side of The Moon - the best in surround - sounds worse than CD in stereo

oops, I voted "better" before I realized you asked about the two channel mix. Uhmmmm, I never listened to it -just the surround mix.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #14
wes

Cool Re: Dark Side of The Moon - the best in surround - sounds worse than CD in stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
http://www.avrev.com/music/revs/darkside.shtml
This is the "other" SACD that never leaves my player. I absolutely LOVE Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon on SACD in surround. It is possibly the BEST concept record ever with not a bad note to be found. Some suggest the stereo mix is terrible on the hybrid SACD. I wouldn't know because I always listen to the James Guthrie surround mix. What do you think of the stereo mix versus the surround mix? Let us know
This is my favorite SACD Multichannel Demo! three B&W 802D & two B&W 802s driven by Classé CA-5200, JL Audio Fathom F113 Sub and Sony XA-777ES SACD payer this thing rocks!!!
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #15

Location: The corner of the world where NC, TN and VA intersect at an elevation of 3,500'
Default Re: Dark Side of The Moon - the best in surround - sounds worse than CD in stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
http://www.avrev.com/music/revs/darkside.shtml

This is the "other" SACD that never leaves my player. I absolutely LOVE Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon on SACD in surround. It is possibly the BEST concept record ever with not a bad note to be found.

Some suggest the stereo mix is terrible on the hybrid SACD. I wouldn't know because I always listen to the James Guthrie surround mix.

What do you think of the stereo mix versus the surround mix?

Let us know
Jerry,

I like the SACD better than the CD, but I like the vinyl pressing even more!

Why didn't you add a vinyl option to the poll?

Or am I just a dinosaur?

But wait.

I'm no dinosaur: I simply prefer the sound of a good clean vinyl pressing. But I'm one of those OCD types who uses a VPI to clean all my vinyl and keep it in rice paper sleeves after it's clean.

Essentially zero surface noise if one is committed to do this and much better sound, IMO, than any CD or SACD.

As always, YMMV of course.
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
---------------
Samuel P. Huntington
Vinyl Rules! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #16

I've never heard the normal CD release, I have the Mobile Fidelity CD and Mobile Fidelity Records and they are so much better. I also have an import SQ Quad LP (Record) version which is really nice. I had the quad 8-track and the one place where I'm disappointed with the SACD is with US and Them. The echo vocals on the 8-Track did circle discretely, rear channel whould go back right then back left. The SACD does not discretely separate the rear echo's. I have a friend that heard them many times in concert and said the echos did discretely circle. Otherwise the SACD tracks are fine. I'm using Bryston electronics and IMF speakers with a Marantz DV-9600 with power supply mods.

Last edited by kbahr; 05-06-2008 at 10:04 PM..
kbahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #17

The stereo mix on the SACD is quite poor. I found the mofi version to sound noticeably better for digital playback. Even though I don't have surround in my system, I have had the opportunity to hear the surround mix in all it's glory and truth be told, as great as it is, it still pales to the 180 gram vinyl reissue on straight two-channel. Something on the vinyl that the SACD just can't get.

It's sad really as SACD's potential was there but it basically just turned to a marketing ploy for the classical labels that have embraced it. The vast majority of SACD's for RNR weren't even done in true DSD as most know which made them no better than the cd remaster counterparts. Sony even went as far to dumb down the cd layers on some of the hybrids to make the SACD layer sound that much better when it wasn't. We are seeing a similar thing in the classical world of SACD software as well. A large number of the SACD's done on classical do not sound as good as they should. I have been supporting the classical SACD's for about a year and a half now but no more. They haven't given me anymore than the best classical cd's I have purchased on the JVC XRCD label and on a percentage scale, the SACD's really do sound a tad poorer which should not be.

With the advent of Blu Ray coming to the forefront, it stands to reason that the classical labels may embrace it because they can put so much on on one disc and if mastered properly, could eclipse SACD for sound quality. Since SACD hasn't really been anything more than the next step in the mastering phases for cd, I just don't see the need to keep supporting the format with BR right around the corner.
nedrudrelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #18
wes

Cool Re: Dark Side of The Moon - the best in surround - sounds worse than CD in stereo

It is true that unless the SCADs are not DSD mastered then the CDs sound as good, Vinil is a different take I won't argue better or not, just very different. I guess if you like the crackling!!!!
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
51, blogspot, cd, dark, dts, floyd, mix, moon, music, pink, record, sacd, side, stoned, surround, version